First FG reading question (1st brew ever)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael357

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first beer, a India Black Ale. On 8/16/14 at 9pm I put the brew into the fermenter. It started to ferment the next morning. It is now the forth day and the bubbles in the airlock has stopped. My question is...do I take a FG reading now or wait a few more days? the instructions on the Brewer's Best says to take a FG reading when the bubbles stopped for 48hrs...4-6 days. But I've been reading the forums and many people are saying not to fully follow box instructions.

Thanks for your advice.

Take your first SG reading ten days after the start of fermentation. The most active part of the fermentation will end in 3 to 6 days, but fermentation is still continuing. The yeast will clean up off flavors while the fermentation is coming to an end.
Take another SG reading two to three days later. When the SG readings are the same FG has been reached.
Allowing extra time in the fermentor will allow the sediment the yeast kicked up to drop out for a clearer beer.
My typical time in the primary is 19 to 21 days. I don't use a secondary.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

+1 to flars' advice above. Patience is key, but I know it's hard on your first brew.

Take your first SG reading ten days after the start of fermentation. The most active part of the fermentation will end in 3 to 6 days, but fermentation is still continuing. The yeast will clean up off flavors while the fermentation is coming to an end.
Take another SG reading two to three days later. When the SG readings are the same FG has been reached.
Allowing extra time in the fermentor will allow the sediment the yeast kicked up to drop out for a clearer beer.
My typical time in the primary is 19 to 21 days. I don't use a secondary.
thank you for the good explanation. this has tamed my impatience and wondering. i'm using a bucket, and can't see what's going on. Whats your feelings on using a bucket vs. glass carboy?

Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

+1 to flars' advice above. Patience is key, but I know it's hard on your first brew.
thank you for the welcome, and the thumbs up for Flars reply. I'll ask you too...whats your feelings on using a bucket vs. glass carboy?

Buckets are easy, but it can be frustrating to not see what's going on. I like them because they are cheap and easy to clean.

I'm scared of glass carboys but recently picked up my first Better Bottle for some longer aging of a Brett saison I've got going.

I started with a glass carboy, an acid carboy, about 26 years ago. I now have 5 glass carboys, lesser quality Mexican made though, but I will stay with them.
Buckets are okay also.

Here are two links about fermenters:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium-376523/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

I usually plan on 3 weeks in the primary (no secondary). Three days before bottling, I check gravity. On bottling day I check before getting started. So far, it's always been stable. If not, I would wait and check again 3 days later. By waiting before checking gravity, I minimize the number of gravity checks, and therefore the possibility of contamination.

I wait 1 or 2 days after visible fermentation has stopped before checking FG. Checked 2 days later with same reading, it's ready to bottle or keg.
Your beer can be done in 5 days, kegged and drank in a (forced carb) day. Or take 10 days and still not be ready.
There are no set number of days for any brews, only guide lines, too many variables.
And even when finished, a brew may benefit and extra week or two just sitting there.
I've had beers I've bottled taste good at 2 weeks, great after 4 weeks, and awesome after 6 weeks in the bottle. They never make it to 8 weeks, so who knows??
Your just starting, so relax, realize you may make mistakes that you will learn from, and that your successes will create confidence. Good sanitation, temperature control, and hydrometer readings are the bedrock of good brews.
It won't be long, and you will look at box directions and know which are gospel, and which are rule of thumb.
Oh yeah, carboys, I have 4, 2 glass, 2 plastic, haven't used them in 2 years. 3 buckets, primary, secondary (for dry hopping), and bottling (used rarely). I'm very gentle when cleaning buckets, soft sponges and mild detergents, if the inside of a bucket gets scratched, it gets discarded.

Back