First ferment with a bug blend question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get a yeast sample from the brewery as well as the grain bill for this beer

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29200/179752/

The yeast sample was in a small mason jar and had about 2 inches of yeast in the bottom with another inch of beer on top. I had it in the fridge for some time before I made the beer, say maybe 6 months.

The og of the beer is right at 10.80 and I warmed the yeast to room temp over 3 hours.

I got the wort to 70 and pitched the yeast after swirling it with the small beer amount left in the jar.

Today is exactly 4 days since I pitched it with no discernible activity. I made a 10 gallon batch and split it in two conicals and pitched Rosellare in the other one. It took almost two days to start but is going nicely.

I have no idea what is in the yeast blend, so I dont know exactly what to expect.

Should I be worried its not doing anything at this point?

Might just be a slow start. I had something similar happen when I harvest a yeast cake from a previous brew with ECY bug blends that I stored for about 6 months and it took a very long time to start. Worth mentioning the brew also sat on that cake for many month before I harvested.

It sounds like you should have made a starter for your blend. You could just add some dry yeast to kick off the fermentation and the "bugs" should express theirselves later on.

thanks guys I just pitched a small amount of sac to get it going and get some co2 in the fermenter and will wait this one out and see what happens.

Back