First Experiment : Hanfbier (Hemp Beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vebra

Reaction score
First of all I want to say I am talking about LEGAL sterilized hemp seeds. Not the good stuff. I will be brewing this on Saturday as a first experiment. I've seen a few hemp beers around, but not too many, so decided to give it a go while waiting for my 2 15 gallon fermenters to free up, plus it's damn cold and don't feel like brewing outside.

This is a 5 gallon all grain batch.

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.2 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
0.50 lb Hemp Seeds - Toasted in oven
0.50 oz Cascade [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [3.90%] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

What is the purpose of the hemp?

Whenever I've had roasted hemp seeds, they don't have much flavor, unless they were spiced.

What is the purpose of the hemp?

Whenever I've had roasted hemp seeds, they don't have much flavor, unless they were spiced.

Boredom? Marketing ploy? I watched a video produced in germany quite a while ago that claimed Hemp seeds gave the beer creamy smooth body and nutty taste. Which I've been snacking on them today since I got them, and they are pretty nutty, pretty good.

Just thought I would bring this one back up. I went ahead with the experiment and I gotta say, I will be doing this again.

I ended up taking this to the Indiana State Winterfest last saturday. The reactions were quite surprising. I ended up blowing my corny keg in about an hour serving 4 oz pours. I've seen so much saying hemp seeds add nothing, that it's all a gimmick. After trying it, I'm going to say thats bunk. The smell was very earthy and pleasant. The hemp seeds added a very nutty taste, they came through quite well. I may be reworking the recipe into a nut brown.

Do not confuse hemp with weed. There are lots of species of "cannabis" and only some have psychotropic substances. It is actually one of the oldest cultivated plant by humankind used for fiber, seeds used for food and as spices, etc.

I myself just made an experimental batch with hemp seeds (we can buy them in my country in a supermarket). Just try roasting them on a hot pan (no oil needed for this) mixing them well and intensively for some 10 minutes (roast them well, but not make them burned)...Then take a hammer or some similar tool, pour them into a cloth, and crush them (not too much, i.e. not make a powder)...100 grams into 20 litres (5-6 gallons) will make a special "touch" of aroma and taste.

My recipe:

For 22 liters batch (sorry, I am used to metric units):
6 kg of basic barley malt (I use local one)
0.5 kg of cara amber malt
0.2 kg of roasted barley malt (would replace it with roasted "chocolate barley malt next time)

Hops:
Apollo (alpha 19%) - 12 grams - 60 min boil
Marynka (alpha 8.3%) - 30 grams - 15 min boil also add crushed hemp seeds at this time

Yeast - Safale S-04 (11.5 grams, dry)

Primary fermentation: 7 days at 20C
Secondary fermentation: 7 days at 20C

Also added some 20 grams of Marynka, and some 10 grams of Apollo into the fermenter for secondary fermentation.

Bottling: 1 liter brown glass flip-top bottles. Sterilized first, then added 6 grams of sugar. 3 days storage at dry place at room temperature, then moved into the fridge at +5C...

OG 1065
FG 1016
ABV 6.4%
IBU 32
EBC 43

P.S. I think that adding hemp seeds like this would give a special touch to any beer recipe.

Nectar Ales does a brown ale with hemp. I really liked it but didn't get anything from the hemp...who knows how they used it though

Back