First Experience with WLP001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
As a few of you know I just used wlp001 for the first time and made my first starter in a DIPA last week. Its my 10th or 11th batch and Ive never used anything but nottingham or windsor (twice). Today is day 5 in primary and its still bubbling every 8-10 seconds! Ive NEVER had bubbles this long after pitching. In fact I've never had any bubbles after 72 hours, so I'm very excited. The "head" right now is about 2 inches thick and looks really creamy and delicious. The fermentation so far has also seemed very controlled compared to the notty. It has been very steady bubbling compared to other times where the water in the airlock is literally being blown out. I don't know why I felt I needed to tell everyone, but I'm just really excited about this beer, and hoping to finally get something to be really proud of!

Sounds like things are fermenting quite well down there in Charleston. I took a gravity reading on Friday after my Magic Hat clone was fermenting for 1 week and the bubbler was still going off about once every minute.

Did you use a blow-off?

I graduated from EIU last December and might be moving back there in the summer.

No I didn't use a blow off tube, and luckily didn't need one. Make sure to let me know if you move back to chucktown. I don't know anyone else that homebrews but my roommate.

As a few of you know I just used wlp001 for the first time and made my first starter in a DIPA last week. Its my 10th or 11th batch and Ive never used anything but nottingham or windsor (twice). Today is day 5 in primary and its still bubbling every 8-10 seconds! Ive NEVER had bubbles this long after pitching.

Welcome to the joys of using real yeast cultures with your beer. White Labs rocks!:ban: California Ale yeast attenuated by double IPA about 85%, which is amazing.

Many things in brewing are a matter of preference, however I cannot understand some brewers approach to yeast. Yeast has such a tremendous influence over flavor, alcohol content, and so many different factors, yet a lot of brewers simply "sprinkle and forget it".

Look at the number and varieties of dry yeasts available. Now, check out what's available through White Labs. The difference is stark indeed.

I'm a HUGE proponent of using liquid yeasts, and it seems you now are too.

If you didn't with this batch, take an extra step next time and prepare a simple starter.

Again, great job! :mug:

White Labs Rocks! I too will be using WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast for the first time this week, I have had great success with WLP004, WLP550, and WLP400. I will aslo be brewing a Dubbel/Abbey and I purchased a vial of WLP540 Abbey Ale IV Platinum Yeast that I look forward to using. My LHBS had 1 vial, I was going to use WLP530, but said what the heck I'll give her a try, and if I like her I'll try her twice :D

well, this is not a White Labs prost thread but I have had a lot of luck with White Labs too. I got 82% attenuation out of WLP002 which averages 67%. I like WLP005, I used WLP830 in my lager and just pitched WLP400 in my wit yesterday.

I have washed yeast of everything except the wit of course since I just used it. I also have WLP041 on the way to use soon.

The stuff is great!

Back