First Ever Brew Day = Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sedge

Reaction score
My first batch is now happily bubbling away in primary. I'd made a batch of Pinot Noir a couple years back and helped some friends with their beer, but yesterday was my first attempt to go it alone.

I made a Breakfast Stout (partial mash) with a healthy cardamom infusion, and plan to add some cold press coffee essence at secondary and hazelnut extract at bottling. OG is just over 1.04.

Thank you to everyone here who goes out of their way to answer questions. I've had many, yet never needed to ask them because they'd already been answered tenfold (bless the search and similar thread features).

Congratulations! and more so for you breakfast stout, thats an ambitious first brew. Let us know how the coffee essence and hazelnut extract works out, I am curious to try a similar process in the near future.

Congrats on the success! Do you have that itch yet? The itch to do another batch, that is.

Indeed I do. I've got a couple really good liquor stores nearby that stock a lot of good specialty brews and I've got a small backlog of bottles of various styles to try. Time will tell what I might want to emulate. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to start until I bottle this batch. I may try EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, cause of all the positive mention it's gotten around here.

Concerning the hazelnut: I thought about using hazelnut syrup, like what you find in Starbucks, because I could just steal it from said Starbucks. But I don't want to miscalculate the priming sugar amount to account for it so that went out the window.

Indeed I do. I've got a couple really good liquor stores nearby that stock a lot of good specialty brews and I've got a small backlog of bottles of various styles to try. Time will tell what I might want to emulate. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to start until I bottle this batch. I may try EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, cause of all the positive mention it's gotten around here.

Concerning the hazelnut: I thought about using hazelnut syrup, like what you find in Starbucks, because I could just steal it from said Starbucks. But I don't want to miscalculate the priming sugar amount to account for it so that went out the window.

Yeah, I hear ya, I only have room to ferment one carboy at a time, so once one leaves the secondary, a new batch goes in the primary ASAP :D

Back