First dandelion wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inchrisin

Reaction score
I'm new to making dandelion wine and was hoping that some of you can fill me in on some of your tips and tricks. I've got a recipe from "Mary's Recipes":

7c dandelion petals
1gal hot water
1 1/2 lb sugar --to 1.085
1c white grape concentrate
3 1/2 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp tannin
1 campden tablet
1/4 tsp energizer
wine yeast --I'll probably use Lalvin 47

First, it says that it's most important to use only the dandelion petals--NO GREENS. I assume this means I pick each tuft of yellow from the green on the top. Any way to make this quick?

I'm to pour the boiling hot water over them and let it cool to 80. I add everything but the yeast. It cools to 75, I add the yeast and ferment for 2 weeks. It calls for at least 3 racks. I'm thinking this is excessive. Any suggestions towards the recipe or yeast choice?

Cheers!

That looks very much like my recipe, if you want to check out my directions. It's posted under my avatar in the "recipes" pulldown.

Using only the yellow petals IS a pain, but it's important because the green "holder" of the petals is bitter.

Dandelion wine drops lees for a very long time- I'd say more than three rackings will be required!

Back