First Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-er

Reaction score
This is a modified that came with BS software. It will be the first cream ale atempt. Any thoughts?

Recipe: Cream Ale_1
Brewer: bru-er
Asst Brewer:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 65.00 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.25 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.75 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.03 tbsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.10 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 10.00 %
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 13.50 qt of water at 162.8 F 150.0 F

I'm not saying its bad but why the MO as a base? Cream Ales are supposed to be light right??

Otherwise it looks good :D

i'd get rid of the corn sugar. you're going to lighten it up with the flaked corn, no sense in thinning it down with nasty old dextrose.

i don't see a real problem with the MO. mine uses 2-row and pilsner (but i also add 0.5 lb each of vienna and munich to give it a decent malt background.)

i'd get rid of the corn sugar. you're going to lighten it up with the flaked corn, no sense in thinning it down with nasty old dextrose.

i don't see a real problem with the MO. mine uses 2-row and pilsner (but i also add 0.5 lb each of vienna and munich to give it a decent malt background.)

I used both MO and the corn sugar because I wanted to experiment with different ingredients. I have made this since and replaced the MO with 2-row, replaced the corn sugar with some rice sugar solids, and removed the cara-pils. I will probably make this again without the sugar - I agree with DB about thinning the beer. It was light and crisp, but to much ABV for a nice summer time refresher.

Back