First competition results.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
I sent in an american pale ale to a local competition in ann arbor. I got a 33.5 (one judge gave me a 32, the other a 36).

Of course it was my first gusher!!! Damnit. And sure enough my ones at home here are gushers as well... I'll ave to drink them up pretty fast I suppose. So the judges cited an infection, maybe too much priming sugar (put in no more than 3/4 cup). Also a slight phenol taste. I think this has to do with poor yeast management though. It was my first time using Notty so I should have check an FG but it was on the yeast for a total of 4 weeks....oh well. Next beer campden tablets and a new auto-siphon just to be sure. Also a quick check of procedures while sanitizing.

Also a comment about tongue coating sensation. What could this be from?

Also a comment about warming finish. Is this a bad thing or just something the judge tasted? How can I remedy if it is a bad thing?

Still pretty proud of myself. Overall they liked the flavor/aroma/appearance of the beer which score or not is the main point of drinking a beer. Plus this beer comes with it's own party trick...gushing!

I sent in an american pale ale to a local competition in ann arbor. I got a 33.5 (one judge gave me a 32, the other a 36).

Of course it was my first gusher!!! Damnit. And sure enough my ones at home here are gushers as well... I'll ave to drink them up pretty fast I suppose. So the judges cited an infection, maybe too much priming sugar (put in no more than 3/4 cup). Also a slight phenol taste. I think this has to do with poor yeast management though. It was my first time using Notty so I should have check an FG but it was on the yeast for a total of 4 weeks....oh well. Next beer campden tablets and a new auto-siphon just to be sure. Also a quick check of procedures while sanitizing.

Also a comment about tongue coating sensation. What could this be from?

Also a comment about warming finish. Is this a bad thing or just something the judge tasted? How can I remedy if it is a bad thing?

Still pretty proud of myself. Overall they liked the flavor/aroma/appearance of the beer which score or not is the main point of drinking a beer. Plus this beer comes with it's own party trick...gushing!

"Tongue coating" finish may be the sign of diacetyl. If it was on the yeast for 4 weeks, though, that's surprising. That should be plenty of time to clean it up. One of the signs of a small amount of diacteyl is a "slick" mouthfeel or oiliness on the tongue. In higher doses, it's like buttered popcorn or butterscotch. If you had a gusher, though, one of the signs of infection is the presence of diacetyl. I'd guess that's where it came from.

Phenols come from either chlorine, or stressed yeast. If you correct both of those issues, they should be gone in your next batch.

I'll try them to get rid of some of the chlorine in my tap water. The water report that I can get online for the Detroit area seems that the chlorine is not out of range but a little high so I just assume get rid of it.

I think in general better fermentation management though with holding temps and checking hydro. samples.

Back