First Cola Recipe, Sterilizing 2 liter used bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SodaPopper

Reaction score
Hi all, I found an article on making home-made soda in Mother Jones magazine, and thought I would give it a try. On the way home from the mountains, I stopped and bought a 'birch beer' from the gas-station and now I really want to get into that!

Anyway, I am thinking of using plain old clorox bleach to clean out the 2 litter bottles. Hot water and shake. Then super-rinse a few times to get all the bleach out. Any issues with this method?

Here is my cola recipe I'm using: Any comments on this? I got most of the herb ingredients at Whole Foods. The Vanilla was crushed but still smells ok.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/dining/cola-syrup-recipe.html?_r=4&partner=rss&emc=rss&

Thanks!:ban:

If you're fermenting then be sure to rinse that bleach out really well. Any residue can cause a band-aid off flavor in the end. Adding yeast nutrient can counteract it a little bit, but not all the time.

I'd recommend getting an iodophore or acid-based sanitizer.

That NY times recipe is a pretty decent one.

Also don't get them too hot they'll leach BPAs into your brew. Use a very mild solution as well . Like a cap full to a gallon.

Oh, ok, I have some similar to those gallon jugs, from whole foods. Not sure the lids would take the pressure though. I do have a half gallon with metal cap, that might be better. Thanks

Back