First Coffee Vanilla Porter Batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
I've just purchased my second extract kit (Brewer's Best Coffee Porter) and wanted some tips from those who have done "flavored" coffee beers. When did you add the vanilla bean? I'm assuming, based on research, that it should occur in the secondary. Any tricks or different approaches here? How many fresh vanilla beans for a 5-gallon batch? Also, when is the best time to steep the coffee grain? During boil, or in secondary? Both seem to have merit. Just wondering from those with experience with this type of beer what your best methods were. Thanks!

I have used Vanilla Beans twice recently. Both times I've soaked them with Cacao Nibs in Vanilla Vodka, one for 7 days and one for 14 days, then racked the beer onto them into secondary (in my case, kegs). I let the first one sit for 10 days (this was a DCA I was also dry hopping with 7oz of hops) and the other one will sit for 14 days before I put the CO2 on it.

Back