First brew's in the bucket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForrestWoods

Reaction score
So Saturday marked a momentous occasion. I've helped my dad brew for years but now it was my turn to fly solo.

Steeped 30min at 155*
- 12oz 60L
- 10oz chocolate malt
- 3oz roasted barley
- 3oz black patent
- 8oz flaked barley

Brought to boil and added:
Minute 60
- 2.5oz Northern Brewer
- 10lb dark DME
- 1lb light brown sugar

Minute 30
- 1oz EKG

Minute 10
- .5oz US Goldings
- 4oz molasses

Chilled in sink ice bath to 70*
Aerated and pitched 1 smack pack of 1028 London Ale yeast

OG 1.102

3oz of American light toast oak chips soaking in Crown Royal as we speak to be added into secondary

Wish me luck!

good luck

WOW - that is a MONSTROUS first attempt at brewing! hope you have some patience, as this brew will take a long time with such a high OG

Congrats on your first brew....

That is a big beer for the first one. A lot of .patience will be required. One thing, You seriously underpitched if you just used one smack pack of yeast. Without making a starter you really needed to pitch 3 1/2- 4 packs of yeast. In the future look into making a starter so you pitch the proper amount of yeast.

Good luck

beergolf said:
Congrats on your first brew....

That is a big beer for the first one. A lot of .patience will be required. One thing, You seriously underpitched if you just used one smack pack of yeast. Without making a starter you really needed to pitch 3 1/2- 4 packs of yeast. In the future look into making a starter so you pitch the proper amount of yeast.

Good luck

Thanks
I dated my wife for ten years before marrying her so I have plenty of patients :)

The LBHS showed me a yeast chart and it showed the yeast I used was good for upto 11% abv. Should I be repitching? I certainly don't want to end up with 5 gallons of alcohol infused pancake surup

Thanks
I dated my wife for ten years before marrying her so I have plenty of patients :)

The LBHS showed me a yeast chart and it showed the yeast I used was good for upto 11% abv. Should I be repitching? I certainly don't want to end up with 5 gallons of alcohol infused pancake surup

You are confusing two different thing. Yes that yeast can tolerate an evironment up to 11% alcohol, but the proper amount to pitch is something else.

2 more packs might do it. I used 4/7g packets of dry yeast re-hydrated in a 1.065 strong ale I did a while back. That was just enough,so you'll def need more.

IMO, way too big of a beer to pitch without a starter or a few packets. This guy needed a stepped starter or a huge starter. Calculator says to pitch 3.5 packets of liquid yeast without starter.

Back