First brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowDogCider

Reaction score
I finally popped a bottle of my first ever beer! Chocolate Coffee Stout!
I was worried at first when I was bottling it. But it turned out pretty tasty! Full body, chocolate notes, added espresso at bottling. Awesome coffee flavor!
But, yep it was coming, way over carbonated!!!!!!! It only been 2 weeks in the bottle! I’m doomed to lose half a bottle each time I crack one open! Live and learn!!
Couple of photos.

Attachments

• 4C571512-8CC8-4B2D-82BB-2403A0DC88F3.jpeg
    4C571512-8CC8-4B2D-82BB-2403A0DC88F3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • E839A695-9590-4DC3-895C-ECC4D73AF84C.jpeg
    E839A695-9590-4DC3-895C-ECC4D73AF84C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Do you know why they are over-carbonated?

Refrigerating well sometimes helps. My concern is how much more they will carbonate.

In any case, I'm glad it tastes good.

But, yep it was coming, way over carbonated!!!!!!! It only been 2 weeks in the bottle! I’m doomed to lose half a bottle each time I crack one open! Live and learn!!
Couple of photos.

You don't have to lose half each time you open a bottle. Get a quart or larger container (I prefer glass, may not be necessary) and pour your beer into that when you open the bottle. The act of pouring will cause a lot of bubbles and the quart may not be quite enough to contain them all so when it looks full, pour the remaining beer into your beer glass. Let the bubbles in your beer glass subside a bit, then pour the beer from the quart container into the beer glass leaving much of the foam behind. Full beer glass, some heading, much better than losing half of it.

Back