First Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misteradam

Reaction score
Hello All, I have brewed my first beer! an all grain kit of Irish Red Ale! It's 3 days in to the fermentation, and until today it was a really active one. The foam is all but gone, and the airlock bubbles very slowly. I'm using nottingham yeast, and it's been kept in the low 60's.

I forgot to take a hydrometer reading at the start, and since I don't have a beer thief or turkey baster in the house, I'm just gonna let it ride for a week or two before bottling it.

The only thing that concerned me, is that I pitched the yeast when the wort was still a little hot.. somewhere between 80-90, so I'm wondering if the high pitch temp. can prevent them from eating all the sugars?

First beer an all grain? Talk about jumping in feet first! Congrats!

For the fermentation, I think you could leave it longer than two weeks. There is no harm in letting it sit on the yeast cake for a total of 3-4 weeks, and in fact the extra conditioning can help. (And go get a hydrometer and a beer thief so you'll know if it is done - stable reading for 3 days in a row).

As to the yeast: if they started, they'll finish. You might have killed a few, and stressed them a bit, but if they took off, they'll use whatever sugar they can regardless.

From what I've read, you should be ok on the yeast. No doubt it's not ideal, but give it a few days and keep an eye on it. You can always pitch more yeast if they didn't make it.

Back