First Brew (with pics!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mase

Reaction score
So as I promised earlier, here are the pics from my first brew day!

*A few notes:

I fully intended to do a starter but LIFE happened and I was unable to get one going or push back my brew day.

I had my first and second...and third boil over. Took a little while to get the regulator on the turkey fryer just right to get the rolling boil we were looking for. It mostly happened when adding the DME.

The timer on the fryer was a PITA! I need to read up on the threads that bypass the timer as mine went out a few times even with a watchful eye.

The SG was about 1.040 which was way off of the stated 1.060 according to kit instruction. The hydrometer is accurate as water read 1.00 and I had right at 5 gals in total volume. Not sure why the reading was so off.

The one "mistake" that really sticks out to me is I forgot to spray down my activator pack before pitching. Nothing to do about it now! Airlock is a-bubbling!

Without further adieu....

The Ingredients
DSCF2440.jpg

The "tea"...
DSCF2442.jpg

RDWHAHB & a micro...
DSCF2443.jpg

Stirring the DME and viewing the boil over...
DSCF2446.jpg

Hops Addition...
DSCF2447.jpg

Chilling the wort...
DSCF2455.jpg

Transferring the wort...
DSCF2456.jpg

Aerating the wort...
DSCF2461.jpg

Hydrometer...
DSCF2463.jpg

More hydrometer fun...
DSCF2465.jpg

Way to be you Mase! Congrats, it's the finest beer you'll drink! If the bug bit you like it did me, you won't be able to wiat until the next one. I knocked out 12 batches within the first year.

For bottling, it is critical everythig is sanitized. I would suggest the following: Get some Oxy-clean and soak bottles to de-label and de-glue them. Next, rinse thoroughly and put the bottles in an empty dishwasher and run on hi-temp with no detergent. Transfer your beer into the botling bucket and place the bucket over the dishwasher on the countertop. Pull up a chair, take the rack of bottles out and fill the bottles on the open door of the dishwasher. No need to worry about spills this way. Be sure to sanitize your caps. Bring water to a boil and dump your caps in. Take it off the heat and your good to go.

Some residuals...
DSCF2459.jpg

Swamp cooling...
DSCF2468.jpg

Less than 24 hrs later, air lock bubbling (can't really tell in the pic)...
IMG_0581.jpg

Over all I had a great time and can't wait to do it again! Thanks for all the input and support fellow brewers! Cheers!

Completely off topic, but whats you garage floor coated with? Looks good.
Pez.

It's a waterproofing masonry coating from Sherwin Williams. I think it's called Luxon or something like that, Pez.

To avoid boil overs when you add DME turn the flame off before adding it. Stir like crazy to get it dissolves, then turn the heat back on. This will avoid the boil overs and help keep the sugars from scorching at the bottom of the kettle.
Have fun and don't wait until this batch is gone before starting another one!

Looks to me like you are in deep trouble. Throw it out. If you don't you may be brewing for the rest of your life.

Welcome to this hobby.

Welcome to the addiction.

Looks like you made beer. Now brew more.

Just a small tip... Tie the grain bags so the grain has room to move around. Yours are tied too close to the grain. Makes it difficult for the water to contact all of the grain.

Welcome to the party, I did three brew days in my first month. My kegerator (converted fridge) can hold 5, maybe six corny's. I have 4 now and will pick up 2 more this week. I have my next three brews all thought out. ;) The BUG bites hard. ;) The recipes that pop up here every day will consume you in a good way. ;)

On a side note, it's nice to now have the ability to "Relax, Have a Home Brew" while brewing future batches now. ;)

I have the exact same burner. Every 15 minutes or so just hit the red button and it won't go out. Congrats on your first brew!

Thanks guys! Totally forgot about removing the kettle for DME addition. Going to do that for the next batch definitely.

Thanks for the info on the grain bags. I guess I tied them that close as to mo have them touching the bottom of the pot. I perhaps need to get a bigger pot for that or start steeping in the BK.

Can't wait to start my "first bottling attempt with pics" thread!

Thanks guys! Totally forgot about removing the kettle for DME addition. Going to do that for the next batch definitely.

Thanks for the info on the grain bags. I guess I tied them that close as to mo have them touching the bottom of the pot. I perhaps need to get a bigger pot for that or start steeping in the BK.

Can't wait to start my "first bottling attempt with pics" thread!

It is fine if they touch the bottom of the pot. You should be inder 170 degrees for steeping anyway. More like 150's.

Back