First Brew Using SuperYeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwiz88

Reaction score
Hello fellow alcohol enthusiasts!
I recently became intrigued by the idea of brewing your own alcohol at home when I stumbled upon a YouTube video on the subject. The basic process seemed very cheap and easy and as I am cheap and like easy things so I figured I'd give it a try. Right away I started googleing and reading as much about the subject as I could and after many hours of research I felt I was ready to try a basic experiment using the three basic ingredients: Water, Sugar and Yeast, and some Welch's Grape Juice for flavoring. The first experiment took about four days and produced a very sweet beverage with about as much alcohol as a wine cooler but it was good practice. In this first experiment I used regular baking yeast and after doing more research I found there are different types of yeast that make a better, faster and more potent brew. So I went to my local home brew shop which was tucked in the back of a hat shop downtown, which I thought was hilarious, and I found everything your could possibly need to make your own alcohol at home, entire brew kits, flavorings, fresh hops, bottling equipment and several types of yeast made specifically for brewing. After talking to the shop owner and asking many questions I ended up purchasing a large packet of SuperYeast which the packaging said could ferment 11% alcohol in 24hours and 20% alcohol in 5-7 days. So I got my yeast and headed home and got all the ingredients together, did some calculations to make a 1 gallon batch instead of 6.5 gallons and got the ratio of .85 gallons of water, 5 cups of sugar and 6 teaspoons of my SuperYeast. Now I'm hoping by tomorrow I will have some weak liquor about 22 proof (11%).
I have a couple of questions I couldn't find online:
What should I do about capping my plastic milk gallon carboy? I have read some people just cap it tight and loosen whenever it gets to pressurized. Some people use a balloon sometimes with holes poked in it.
So if anyone has any advice or suggestions I would much appreciate it. Happy brewing!:mug:

Reaction score
I apologize for being so quick to jump in and close your very first thread, but your recipe IS hooch. Sugar water with a little grape juice and some distiller's yeast makes a positively wretched beverage. Threads like this are flame magnets, and I promise you don't want to see how it would've turned out. I encourage you to take a look around the wine forum for other recipes and methods for making simple wine that actually tastes good.

No hooch threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.