First Brew...trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slater

Reaction score
I got my first batch in the fermenter yesterday around 3:00pm and I had to go to work today at 10:00 am. When I woke up it was bubbling and looked perfect fine. When I got back here today around 3:30 pm I looked where it was and it looks like stuff has gotten in the Airlock and there was a huge bubble outside on the edge of the airlock. It overflowed maybe about a tablespoon. Is this ok, should I do something or just let it go?

Thanks for the help.

Just take it out while it is still bubbling?

Thanks for your quick answers

EDIT: I did what you suggested and now it looks like it is fermenting perfectly fine. Thanks for the quick input. Time to go get ready for the super bowl now. I will suggest this forum to my friend who will be starting to homebrew in the next month or so.

Yes- but pull it out slowly. Because if it's blocked, and you pull it out quickly, you might get a little shower of beer. Not really likely, but better safe than sorry. If it looks all gross, just clean it and resanitize and stick it back on. I have several airlocks (there are under $1 or so each) and just put a clean one on whenever it needs it.

Yooper. Since I am a first time brewer I only have one. but when I pulled it out I got a little bit of mist on my hand. But it is now looking great. Sorry for the beginner question. I probably should have looked around to see if anyone else asked it first. Seems to be running great now. Other than I wish I could have gotten it to a lower temperature because I think it will probably happen again. It is between 67-69 degrees. The contents were made with Cooper’s Real Ale beer kit and a bag of dried malt extract (was suggested by the homebrew store I went to). But I realize it will probably overflow again. Hopefully soon I won't be one of the beginners who worry about everything.

You could rig up a blow off tube really quick if you want. Just take some tubing, and stick it in the hole where the airlock goes. Then put the other end in a pitcher/jar of water. It works best if you have a large opening with a large diameter piece of tubing, but small works ok too if that's all you have. I'll look for a picture to show you what I mean.

Yooper. I only have the tubing that came with the homebrew kit. It is 4' of 5/16" syphon hose. Will that be ok to use. If not i will keep the airlock on until it happens again. And then tomorrow go and pick something up at the store.

If the airlock isn't clogging, you can just keep using the airlock. The key to the blow off tube is to have it big enough to not clog. By tomorrow, I bet it will be settled down a lot and over the stage where you have to worry about it.

It actually ended up doing it again and it clogged quite a bit this time. I hope I didnt do something wrong. I ended up using the syphon tubing and put it in a 2 quart pitcher half full of cold water. Tomorrow should I replace it with the airlock? should I just keep the blow off tube? It seems that a lot is traveling through the blow off. Is this good? Sorry to worry so much, I know I shouldn't. Thank you for understanding me being like this on my first brew. Also thank you very much for all the help.

I am using a 6.5 Bucket. Next time I go back home for break, since I am in college, my dad said he might have an extra carboy he can give me. I think it is going good currently. It was going crazy last night, looked at it this morning and the pitcher that the tube is in has raised some. Should I eventually put the airlock back on? Thanks for helping me out again:)

Back