First Brew Trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
So I did my very first batch of home brew yesterday. I'd like to let everyone know how it went and would love any comments or advice. Here are some of my concerns:

I could not get a rolling boil. I could only get a slow "bubbling boil" going?" my thermometer gave a reading of 210 degrees. Just a couple shy from actual boiling temp.

I kept reading and hearing about the infamous BOIL OVER. I had none. This is a good thing i know. My concern is this: my wort did nothing but sit there and do the bubble boil thing. I thought at least when i added the hops the water would have done something. This is probably not a big deal. Just mentioning it.

Another concern: I forgot to take an OG reading before pitching the yeast. I have no idea what it is.

So right now my Cincinnati Pale Ale is sitting in the primary fermenter in my bedroom closet. It has been there for 15 1/2 hours and right now the airlock is bubbling 1 time every 7 seconds.

I have so many questions! for example:

1.)How long should I let it sit in Primary?

2.)Should I transfer it to my 5 gallon glass carboy? if so, when?

3.)How do i transfer it to my carboy? I have a siphon but in John Palmer's book he says NOT to take the lid off of the fermentation bucket!!

I'm sure I have more questions.

I need to do this a few times to get the hang of it!

Thanks all!

Not getting a gravity reading is not going to kill the beer, you will make beer.

Bubbling airlock means that there is a gas escaping your frementer, but as many will tell you it isn't an indicator of fermentation. Let several gravity reading that are the same tell you when fermenting is over.

1) I let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks or more.

2) Secondarys are for babies. Really I don't use them.

3) sometimes we have to disagree with Palmer. How are you going to get all that wonderful soon-to-be beer out of the bucket without taking the lid off. Siphoning is fine, but minimize the splashing.

I had to siphon 5 gallon to a keg the other day. I also siphoned 5 gallons to a bottling bucket, form there used a bottling wand to put beer into 50 bottles.

I leave in bottles at least 2 weeks and the kegs 2 weeks

RDWHAHB - Relax Don't Worry And Have A Hombrew. A good commercial beer will work for now

I disagree with the secondary is for babies commet. I like to keep my beer in the primarey for two weeks or until I get the same gravity reading for three days. I then move it to a secondary using a simple siphone. I keep it in the secondary for additional 2-3 weeks depending on the type of beer. It helps clear the beer and age it.

Then bottle or keg the beer.

Thanks for the advice likwidbliss!

So, should I take a gravity reading today? It's only been in the fermenter for 16 hours now. also, how often should I take a reading?

Also, do you really think it will be fine just in the primary? I read that going to secondary will result in a cleaner looking beer. I am brewing a Pale Ale so wouldn't that be the desired effect?

Lastly, When ready, should I just siphon from the primary fermenter straight into my bottling bucket?

So Rwinzing, are you saying that I should only keep my beer in the primary for three days, take a gravity reading then transfer to secondary?

after that keep in secondary for 2 weeks and then take another reading?

How do i know when to take it out of secondary?

Thanks for the tips!

No I keep there for 1-2 weeks then move it after that. My concern is that we put a firm time frame on moving our beer. Beer may be ready to be moved after a week or it may take 4. So before you move it get a consistent gravity reading this will ensure fermentation has slowed way down or stopped. After you move it it may kick up again for a short period, then be patient let it sit and clear this will only improve the quality of your beer.

Let me also remind everyone that this is my VERY FIRST batch I have ever brewed in my life. I am doing john Palmer's recipe for Cincinnati Pale Ale. In other words, I don't want to worry about racking to secondary if it is not ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I just want to get through my first batch and hopefully have created a good tasting first home brew!

Sorry, didn't see the second part of your question. Once the fermentation stops it's now up to you. I have found and many disagree that when I leave it in the secondary I have clearer beer and better tasting beer. I try and be as patient as possible. I also have a pipeline so it is a little easier I can drink something else

So get started on your next batch ASAP

Many of us believe our beer is better after a month in primary...I have judging scores on my beers that back me up in my reasons, plus the citations of Palmer,

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

It looks like you want us to re-invent the wheel. Just about every question you have has been answered hundreds of times and the answers are through here.

Start with reading the info here, including the two linked articles in there, then you can make up your OWN mind up about when to move, take a grav reading and how long to leave your beer where you choose to leave it.

But you will be informed enough to do so...you are basically getting half answers to whether or not to secondary...if you read this, you'll get the full picture.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/multiple-questions-about-secondary-fermentation-140978/#post1601829

Thanks rwinzing. a few more questions:

1.) Should I take a gravity reading today?

2.) if so, It's ok to open the lid?!

3.) Once I get this reading today, I wait 1-2 weeks and compare readings. If the gravity readings are the same then it's time to move to secondary?

Thanks Revvy! You are full of wisdom man. I'm sorry if I seem like an obnoxious beginner. I'm glad you commented here because I really do trust the information you give me. Thanks again!

You can take a gravity reading whenever you like to see the fermentation progress. The main reason you want to do it as soon as you get it in the fermenter is so that you can calculate your ABV/Calories and figure out what your final gravity should be based on the yeast strain you used.

It is definitely not a major problem that you forgot the gravity (I forgot it on my Christmas ale that I brewed two months ago), but you are guessing a little bit more at the end with regards to how strong the beer is

Since this is your first batch - Dont take the lid off or take a reading at this point. Forget about it for 3+ weeks and bottle it. It will be fine.

Everytime you take the lid off you increase your risk of messin' up your beer. In general, dont, unless you have to..

Wait a week until you take your intial reading. From there if the gravity is close to your target take it two more days to ensure it has stopped. If it's not near your target leave it be for another 3-4 days etc.

Yes it is ok to remove the top just be careful and don't put the wort your taking your reading with back in your bucket.

Once you get consistent readings your fermentation has stopped. Then it is ok to move it.

I would wait at least one week before you take your first reading. Let the yeast work.

As you can see here there are many "right" ways. I like a secondary a lot of people do not. Neither is wrong. Find what you are comfortable with.

Revvy is a huge resourse and I agree his process is tried and true. You will not have bad beer if you don't move it so I don't want to seem I am pushing you either way. I got in the habit to move my beer because it opened up my primary for another batch. Now that I have more then one primary I still like moving it. It has worked well for me.

Back