First brew to bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Gremlyn

Reaction score
Put our first brew into the piggies last night. Overall it went pretty smoothly. Took use a couple of tries to get the Party Pig pouchs inflated properly, but now we know. We did sample a little as well... amazingly enough it tasted like BEER! I wouldn't say it's the best I've ever tasted, but it was flat/room temp. I expect it'll condition a little more in the next week while it carbonates too.

Our FG was a little high, supposed to be ~1.014, and we were right about 1.020. I suspect that our slightly elevated fermentation temp/quick fermentation time is to blame there.

Anyway, cheers! :mug:

aaronbeer

Reaction score
welcome to the sickness aka homebrewing. Your beer will taste way better in three weeks! Enjoy!

malkore

Reaction score
It kinda sounds like you bottled early. Higher ferm temps wouldn't leave you with a higher gravity than the recipe states as terminal.

OP
Gremlyn

Gremlyn

Reaction score
It's been two weeks in the fermenter and I also did a check of the gravity a couple of days ago and it didn't change, seems that something else caused it to end early then?

Clonefarmer

Reaction score
Put our first brew into the piggies last night. Overall it went pretty smoothly. Took use a couple of tries to get the Party Pig pouchs inflated properly, but now we know. We did sample a little as well... amazingly enough it tasted like BEER! I wouldn't say it's the best I've ever tasted, but it was flat/room temp. I expect it'll condition a little more in the next week while it carbonates too.

Our FG was a little high, supposed to be ~1.014, and we were right about 1.020. I suspect that our slightly elevated fermentation temp/quick fermentation time is to blame there.

Anyway, cheers! :mug:
Be careful when you pop the pouch to remove it. They explode with enough force to send scissors flying across the room.

BrewStooge

Reaction score
It's been two weeks in the fermenter and I also did a check of the gravity a couple of days ago and it didn't change, seems that something else caused it to end early then?
It seems this 1.020 number is something that people get often, saw a thread here before on that specifically. I haven't gotten stuck there yet myself but some said it would seem to just "pause" for a couple days. Otherwise giving it a minor shake/stir to rouse things up helps get the yeasties back in the act.

Course then again I'm only working on my 3rd batch yet so... :rolleyes:

Nurmey

I love making Beer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful when you pop the pouch to remove it. They explode with enough force to send scissors flying across the room.
We have a "specialty tool" for popping the pouches. Loosen the top just enough to fit a wire hanger (bent out straight) into the top, put a towel over it, and pop away. The towel prevents any spray of brew from going all over.

To OP: Congratulations!