First brew this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimnhl18

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing my first batch this weekend. I have been doing a lot of reading and watching videos to prepare and I keep going back and forth about using a 6.5 gal plastic bucket or a 6.5 gal carboy for primary fermentation. If I use the carboy do I have to use a blow off hose or is the airlock sufficient? For the first time I am keeping it basic and bought a Simply Beer IPA kit. Is secondary fermentation necessary?

Assuming you’re making 5 gallons, either will work. I think if you get a violent fermentation, the airlock will normally go flying off the carboy and it could foam over. Due to the shape of the carboy. That said, I brew small 3 gallon batches and I normally primary in a 5 gallon carboy. Generally with no issues whatsoever and I never use a blowoff tube.

Secondary is more of a settling tank. It is to get the beer off the dead or settled yeast and allow it to drop clear. I don’t think a secondary is absolutely necessary with every beer, but it does help with clarity. When you secondary, you want the “right” size carboy. I.e. 5 gallons for 5 gallons. Filled up, with minimal air at the top.

Don’t forget the Irish Moss, which will also help with clarity. About a tsp with 15 min left in the boil.

I bought 2 of the simply beer kits also. The stout and brown ale. Will primary mine for 3 weeks in my bucket then bottle. Next time i will add extra DME to it also. I use buckets and the big mouth bubbler.

+1 to the blowoff. No worries that way. And no need to secondary, most of us don't unless you're planning on aging or adding fruit. I would also recommend the bucket instead of the carboy (is it glass?). Yes the carboy is great if you like to sit and stare at your fermenting deliciousness...but they are a PITA to clean, heavy, and if you want to scare yourself read some of the posts on here from people who have broken them. I've got one that I rarely use unless I'm doing a 6+ gallon batch (it's a 7.5 gallon one). Otherwise I'm always in buckets.

Plastic buckets easier to clean, easy to carry, easier all around and no need for blow off tube, airlock works fine

I always use one - just in case...I wouldn't want this happening:

maxresdefault.jpg

100_5060.jpg

doublekrausen1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ouch Tasunka that looked like a nasty cleanup :eek:
Jim, good luck with your first brew, hope it goes well....just remember to leave some of your first batch beers after bottling in the back of the fridge to taste in a few months if you have the patience.
Oh yum, what delicious beer comes from a bit of patience ;)

Nic

I am planning on brewing my first batch this weekend. I have been doing a lot of reading and watching videos to prepare and I keep going back and forth about using a 6.5 gal plastic bucket or a 6.5 gal carboy for primary fermentation. If I use the carboy do I have to use a blow off hose or is the airlock sufficient? For the first time I am keeping it basic and bought a Simply Beer IPA kit. Is secondary fermentation necessary?

i second or third the blow off i only read a few post. but i as soon as i started using yeast nutri and moved to all grain the lid was blown off my fermenter. so a blow off tube is just a good idea. i use my siphon tube shoved into my 3 piece air lock.

i have never used a secondary fermenter, my advice would be let it ferment for 3 week over the "standard" 2 weeks. make sure you keep the temps in check. buy a bucket from Walmart fill with water and toss a towel over it add ice if needed.

for me i did two batches with no water treatment. once i started to use Camden tablets it was night and day 4$ for 200 batches or so.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I am all set for tomorrow. Decided to use the bucket and blow off tube. Don't want to take any chances and have the boss shut me down before I brew my first batch. Does it matter how far the tube is in the bucket? I'm assuming as long as it's in there tight it will work.

I have used plastic buckets, glass carboys, better bottles/BMBs. My primary go-to is still my 6.5 plastic bucket. BSG makes a really good one with a foam seal gasket in the lid. I use an airlock for everything but my hefes (blow-off). Rarely secondary unless it is a true secondary fermentation, e.g., a fruit addition.

I think we have all had a major blow over at one point. Learn once ok, learn twice shame on you....I learned twice this weekend adding nutrient to my mead too fast....like adding a mentos to coke. Dang!

Just got done cleaning up and now I'm reflecting on what went good and what went bad. The good: No boil over and was able to cool down in about 40 minutes using an ice bath. Didn't make a huge mess. The bad: Didn't aerate enough. I was more worried about pitching the yeast at the correct temperature and forgot to aerate. I did pour from the kettle to the bucket and then added cold water so hoping that's enough for the yeast to do its job. I also forgot to take a gravity reading before pitching. Not the end of the world but I did get a reading shortly after adding yeast. I made notes of this so hopefully each time will get easier. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Sounds like you had a good day! If you added top off water I would worry so much about aerating the wort, that water will have oxygen in it.

And all the notes that you took will better prepare you for the next brew day.

Back