First brew - status

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ongreystreet

Reaction score
Brewer's Best Altbier, Extract kit with very partial grains, 2.5 gallon boil per kit instructions.

Brewed at noon on December 25th.

A few bubbles before midnight on the 25th and some build up.

Krausen up about 2 inches and a steady stream up bubbles all day Saturday, lot's of movement in the middle.

Krausen has now deflated and fallen some, and movement has stopped, bubbles at about 30 to 45 a minute.

I took a sample, it's pretty bitter, maybe along the lines of a strong IPA such as a DFH 60 Minute. The sample was pretty cloudy, making it look thick, even though it ain't. Almost looks like an apple cider or really diluted apple butter.

How's that sound to you?

Don't worry, I ain't asking like I am ready to move it. I plan on giving this a min. 3 to 4 weeks (assuming my FG is steady).

You are tasting a lot of yeast at this point. Thats what it makes it cloudy. The yeast is still working slowly, let them do their thing. It is a good learning step to taste along the way, it will change dramatically along the ride.

Sounds good so far, let them yeasties do their thing. Check with your hydrometer in a week or so. You could always cold crash if you are looking for greater clarity once you are ready to bottle.

Sounds like you have a healthy beer fermenting and a good plan.

ps I assume the perk rate stat is for entertainment only, right? ;)

Back