first brew recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8rdude12000

Reaction score
im going to put my order in soon for all the gear i need to get goin with the brewing thing. anyone want to recommend a good first batch for me to brew.

I did a light ale and it turned out really well. It was also cheap so if I messed it up I wasn't out much money.

i'd like to try making an amber ale but im not sure if thats any harder to do than aother kind of beer and should be kept for a different batch. if it is equally easy/difficult i think i'll go with that

dude,

Here's a recipe for an amber ale...this was my first batch, and I'm an idiot, so it must have been pretty easy. It it tastes like an amber to me...maybe just a little hoppier than Fat Tire. :cool:

1 Can (4 lbs) Mountmellick Malt Extract (Export Ale - Hopped Malt Extract)
2 lbs unhopped malt extract
1 pkg Burton Water Salts
1 oz. Fuggle Hop Pellets
1 pkg (11 g) Windsor Brewing Yeast
1 pkg Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar

Try this its easy. ( 5 Gal )

1 Can of John Bull Plain Amber Extract
3lbs. Amber Dry Malt Extract.
Half of your water requirements (3 gals ) should be distilled water. ( My preference )
1- Wyeast 1056 Liquid yeast pack
1/2 oz Horizan Hops 60 Min
1 oz Cascade Hops 15 Min
1 oz Cascade Hops 5 Min
1 whirflock tablet 15 min

Bring 6 gallons of water to boil.
Turn off heat and add extracts mix until fully dissolved.
Turn heat on and return to a boil.
Once boil starts add 1/2 oz Horizan hops.
After boiling for 45 minutes add 1 oz cascade hops and 1 whirflock tablet.
After boiling for 10 more minutes add 1 oz Cascade hops.

Cool quickly to 72F.

Put in primary and add yeast. Ferment in primary for 5 days then rack to secondary
Keep in secondary for 10 days.
Prime with 1 1/4 cup light DME or 3/4 cup corn sugar.
Bottle.
Wait forever ( 2 weeks ) then Cheers!

i'd do an amber ale (as suggested aboce) or a nice american brown ale. if you like Guiness, try a stout. these are beers that can be drank young and they hide any flaws real well. i'd stick to ales unless you have a way to ferment cool and lager at the proper temps.

good luck!

Back