First brew recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
Hey guys, been eating up these forums for the last two weeks as I try to give myself a crash course on homebrewing.

Me and 3 other friends are getting into this together - it seems like the sort of thing that is more fun with friends - and splitting the cost 1/4 seems like a good deal too.

I think I basically have the equipment side of things down.

Now it's time to figure out what we brew on that first day. We are going to have a setup that enables us to brew 2 beers at the same time.

As one of the guys is from the area he really wants to try the Fat Tire Clone from AHS, so that will be one of the beers we try on the first brew day.

We are looking for suggestions on a second beer. The point for us to get into this is to have fun obviously - but it's also to learn more about beer and expose ourselves to more beers. So we are looking for a beer that is not relatively the same as the Fat Tire Clone - but nothing so exotic that it has a good chance of turning someone off, it is our first brew afterall.

I should mention that once these 2 batches clear the primary's we plan to mix up a batch of EdWorts Apfelwein as it seems a rite of passage for any aspiring home-brewer on these forums - lol.

Correct - shoulda mentioned that - extract for a while till we get the hang of it.

Hmmmm. How about an American Pale Ale? A little hoppy, but not too much. Different from the Fat Tire, but not too intense. Or, a Hefe/wheat beer. Those are easy, and lots of people love them.

The best answer to that is "Buy a kit from Austin Home Brew that is similar to a beer you like".

I say Austin because they've got good kits and great service. In theory, any kit will do. The ones with steeping grains (like Austin) will yeild the best results.

I say a kit because you don't have to muddle with building the recipie yourself, save that for later.

I say something you like because you're gonna have to drink it. :)

Just about every kit from any reputable homebrew supplier includes instructions. Extract brewing is pretty simple and has excellent results, and they're much better if you use steeping grains too.

Back