First brew Oktoberfest - 5th and 6th bottle totally different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kzang

Reaction score
We are drinking our 5th and 6th beer beer from my first home brew ever, an Oktoberfest ale. The 5th beer has that smokey Gouda ish flavor, and the 6th has a mild smokey flavor. The first 1-4 beers had no smokey flavor.

Why is this? I got the smokey flavor 2 beers from a different bottling "sequence" too. It is just really interesting to have that smokey flavor in some of the beers.

Edit: the beers 2-6 bottle conditioned for 1.5 weeks longer than the first. The smokey flavor beers had been refrigerated for about 5 days before drinking

I didn't. Only those 2 beers in a total of 16 we have drank had it. It actually was a pretty good taste, though. :)

Thats not too bad so far. I agree, it might just be a bottle born infection from a bottle that didnt get sanitized fully. Or possibly oxidation from a cap not being clamped down fully? Was it fully carbed?

Back