First brew of 2022

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 minutes from flameout on a 11-11-11 Gunstock Ale.

DAMN IT! If i didn't stay up till 1:30am last night....but gotta admit, you both have me beat! (i wanted to be the first! 🤣 :mug:)

edit: next year i'm going to buy a can of pre hopped coopers extract in novemeber, for just this occasion....stay up until the stroke of 12, and add it to some water, with yeast...

It's been on my radar since I started brewing a little over a year ago. I was just waiting for the Old Ale sacc/brett blend to be released. It was, but my LHBS couldn't get any. I gladly took the Bootleg Biology substitute, also a special release.
Hmmmm… had to look that one up to… interesting that homebrewtalk came up first on each search.
this one must look familiar to you
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/old-ale-blends.696679/

Up at 4am on New Years Day- only a brewer would do that!
Started the strike water heating at 4:30, the coffee a few minutes later.
Brewed my traditional New Years Bock/Dopplebock. Batch #185. Probably will get to batch #200 sometime in 2022.

I won’t get to brew til Monday or Tuesday. 3 in the pipe I have to deal with. I’m going to start back to basics with a plain old American Pale Ale.

Everybody remember to update the totals in how many gallons brewed in 2022 thread.

Let me know how that turns out. I have some Loral hops that I've been wanting to use
Following through on this.
I think my use of Loral hops with Maris Otter (in mid of Winter) may have just not been the best choice. I underestimated the amount of lemon in the hops, and the IBU that grainfather estimated (well over 30) turned out to be very underwhelming. It's odd, I notice very little bitterness at all.
My SMASH ended up nutty, a bit malty (finished at 1.012), and lemony, not exactly what I was looking for in mid January.
Let me know how you end up using this hop, hopefully more successful than me!

After I drop Mrs. Monster off at the office I will be brewing the same recipe as a couple weeks ago.
5.5 gallon batch
13lbs pale 2 row
2 lbs Viking cookie malt
1 lb 350 chocolate malt
3 lbs quick rolled oats
1 oz Sterling hops 45 minutes
A quart of wort reserved and ice bath chilled, inocculated with yeast harvested from last batch, for a starter.
90 minute mash, 90 minute boil, BIAB, no-chill, transfer to fermenter tomorrow with starter.

Improving my technique and hopefully my BHE for a higher OG than last batch for the same mash bill, using the same ingredients to make a valid comparison. Last batch I expected 1.09 OG and got 1.077.

Following through on this.
…the IBU estimated turned out to be very underwhelming.
This has been a theme in beers I’ve done for the past year. I’m not sure why this is. When I try to “play by the rules” and stay inside guidelines for the given styles. Undelwhelming is a good description for the hop character I’ve been getting in most of my beers.

I notice often that when I enter other people’s recipes the ibus are very high. There was one published best of show IPA recipe that I entered into my software not long ago and came up with some ridiculous ibu value like 122 ibus. Which is fine if someone wants to do that, but why would that win a best of show when the ibu is so far outside the guidelines?

I use BeerTools on a mac and the Tinseth model when I create my recipes. I might go back to the Mosher model because it predicts lower ibu values which would mean more hops and a higher ibu than using Tinseth. Or I may just start making recipes outside the guidelines and outside of the accepted bu:gu ratios, which it seems is what others are doing.

Back