First brew next weekend!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmaster

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a LOT on this forum for the last 2 months. I finally acquired and put together most of the parts and I'll be able to brew my first batch this coming weekend, a Delirium Tremens clone recipe from a thread on this forum.

I actually just made a 1 L yeast starter yesterday and its still swirling on the stirplate. It was fermenting all night, however I just got back from work and the foil has come off the erlenmeyer. From what I got googling around I'm not the first one to have this happen, and I guess it will be fine nonetheless. I was planning on decanting the yeast and stepping it up again, because the yeast was from the end of October and from the calculations on MrMalty it was recommended to do a 2L starter or do two steps.

Some pics of my setup (a 50L aluminum jug, 2x1500w elements, a MyPin TD4 PID to control one of the elements while mashing, and a small pump to recirculate).

P1000155.JPG

P1000157.JPG

P1000159.JPG

P1000160.JPG

It'll probably be ok. I'd knock the foam off the top then spray some star san on it. Cover it back up with some sanitized foil.

Good luck with the first brew.

It'll probably be ok. I'd knock the foam off the top then spray some star san on it. Cover it back up with some sanitized foil.

Good luck with the first brew.

Yeah its what I ended up doing. Hopefully it turns out ok! :)

Still happily bubbling away! I let the temp rise from ~66 to 75 (wlp570 yeast). I'll probably take a sample tomorrow to measure gravity and see what it tastes like! Hopefully the not overly bitter considering how long it boiled (had to boil longer and add lme to get closer to target og since I used too much water)... :)

View attachment 1455938361874.jpg

Looks like your volume ended up a little low. Also, make sure you don't lift a full carboy with that red handle - empties only. It can stress the glass in the neck and break the carboy. Can't wait to hear how the brew turns out!

Looks like your volume ended up a little low. Also, make sure you don't lift a full carboy with that red handle - empties only. It can stress the glass in the neck and break the carboy. Can't wait to hear how the brew turns out!

Thanks for the info! I had no idea about the handle! Volume was actually supposed to be 3gal and ended up closer to 4

So, I looked at it this morning, and activity is pretty much stopped, though there's a bubble that comes out every now and then from the airlock.

I have a question maybe someone could answer about the original recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=112957)
It recommended to keep fermentation for 7 days, which would be tonight for me, and then cold crash for 2 weeks.
Should I follow this to the letter, or wait for fermentation to be done (maybe a few more days since its still lightly bubbling) completely before cold crashing?

So, I looked at it this morning, and activity is pretty much stopped, though there's a bubble that comes out every now and then from the airlock.

I have a question maybe someone could answer about the original recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=112957)
It recommended to keep fermentation for 7 days, which would be tonight for me, and then cold crash for 2 weeks.
Should I follow this to the letter, or wait for fermentation to be done (maybe a few more days since its still lightly bubbling) completely before cold crashing?

Don't cold crash until your hydrometer is stable (reading same number) for 3 days. If you don't have one, the rule of thumb is wait 2 weeks some wait 3 weeks before cold crash. Don't ever rack to secondary unless you are adding something to the beer like fruit. Most fermintation happens within the first 3 days but it's best to let it sit to develop.

Perfect, no rush then. I'll still probably take a gravity reading tomorrow though...
An excuse to see where its at (if not done it will be very close) plus its a good excuse to have a first taste of what it will be like :-D

I had to boil much longer, maybe 45min more (it was a 90min boil initially), with the hops in there. I'm really hopping it didn't turn out too bitter.

Just sampled the gravity: 1.009-1.008.
Taste: Not bad, but not great either. Too watery for my taste, and too much bitterness too probably as a result of boiling 45mins more.
I'll leave it another 2 weeks in the primary and then bottle it.

If it's at 1.008/1.009 now, you don't need to wait 2 more weeks. It's probably done. Check the gravity again on Wednesday, but I'll bet you're fine to be bottling next weekend.

Taste: Not bad, but not great either. Too watery for my taste, and too much bitterness too probably as a result of boiling 45mins more.

Your beer will taste quite a bit different once it is carbonated. Drinking the hydrometer sample will tell you if you have some horrible off flavors but don't think about dumping a beer based on that first taste. Carbonation will take a watery tasting beer and add the perception of body too.

If it's at 1.008/1.009 now, you don't need to wait 2 more weeks. It's probably done. Check the gravity again on Wednesday, but I'll bet you're fine to be bottling next weekend.

I agree, your beer is probably at final gravity but leaving it longer in the fermenter will let more yeast settle. I don't like much yeast in my bottles.

Cool, I may bottle it this coming weekend then, or sometime during next week if I don't have time. This means I'm definitely brewing something else in 2 weekends! I'm gonna need some more empty bottles....

This is the taste of beer from the fermenter. Get it in bottles and let it carbonate fully (2 weeks). After that toss one in the fridge for a day and try it to make sure they're carbonated. It'll be much better. Even then, leaving them cold for a week or two will cold condition them and make them even better. There's a progression of beer tastiness that happens. It's a process but it's worth waiting for.

This is the taste of beer from the fermenter. Get it in bottles and let it carbonate fully (2 weeks). After that toss one in the fridge for a day and try it to make sure they're carbonated. It'll be much better. Even then, leaving them cold for a week or two will cold condition them and make them even better. There's a progression of beer tastiness that happens. It's a process but it's worth waiting for.

One thing I forgot to ask. There's still a very thick layer of yeast over the fermented wort in the carboy. It doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. Would this cause any issues for bottling? I was planning on transferring the wort to my plastic bucket with a spigot for bottling (and adding in priming sugar).

So, I gave the carboy a few nudges yesterday and today, and most of the top layer of yeast went down to the bottom of the carboy. I took a sample gravity, its at 1.006. I wanted to bottle today but broke my capper and my new one is arriving tomorrow.

I had a taste of the beer again, and the earthy/dirt taste is stronger than before. It pretty much overpowers everything else. I'm not sure its worth bottling, but I will anyway and see later on, maybe in 2-3 months it'll have changed enough in the right direction.

Anyhow next weekend I'm brewing another one and it should go much better with adjusted water quantities. Already the starter is going pretty well, I will step it up on Tuesday/Wednesday and will be all set for next Saturday.

Back