First Brew, Need Quick Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjt36

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted and discussed to death, but since I'm much too lazy to search at the moment I'm going to post it up one more time.

I've just recently gotten interested in home brewing my own beer. The simple question I pose to you is this:
Should I buy a brewing kit? If so, which ones are worthwhile?
-or-
Am I better off just buying the equipment and ingredients separately and brewing from a recipe?

Keep in mind that I've never done this before, but I love beer and it could very well become a good hobby.

Thanks for helping out a newb.

I think the kits that local homebrew shops (or on online if there isn't one near by) put together are good. They have been tested and should have the freshest ingredients. The ones in a can might be fine too but I have never done them. IMO, don't bother with the no boil, you will learn more from a kit with steeping grains, extract, and hops (might even get a better beer).

the Brewer's Best label'd kits are pretty decent to start off with too. there's variety, easy to use dry yeast, and they have ALL that you need: extract, steeping grains plus a grain bag, hops in the right amounts for the recipe, priming sugar, and bottle caps.

Back