First Brew. It's Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMM1980

Reaction score
My first brew was the Peace Coffee Stout kit from Midwest. It actually turned out pretty damn well.

I followed the directions pretty closely. The only things that I did different from the instructions was cold brewing the coffee and I did not use a secondary.

I couldn't do a full boil, a) because the pot wasn't big enough, and b) because I was using an electric stove (definitely investing in a propane burner). Started with 2 gallons.

Everything went really well for a first brew, I suppose. I used a 5 gallon paint strainer over the bucket when I poured the wort in. In a moment of complete ignorance, I got impatient because it got clogged. While waiting for it to drain I took the strainer off and gave it a squeeze with my bare hand. Instant regret.

While putting the 3 piece airlock in, I jammed it in there too far, and the rubber piece fell out of the bucket lid. With this, I panicked. I hopped on HBT and did a search. Surprise, I'm not the first. I sanitized my arm and went in after it. I knew exactly where it was, so I had it out really quick.

OG was about 1.060

I left it in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling. I never had any activity in the airlock. Not a single bubble. Again, I searched on here and put my mind at ease.

FG was 1.010

Tried the sample and it tasted so much better than I ever imagined that it would. I'm at 2 weeks, 4 days in the bottle and had one last night. It was pretty damn good. Not an overpowering coffee flavor, just enough imo. This being my first, I don't know how it's "supposed" to taste, but I want to say that it may still need another week or so in the bottles. It has a hint of something that's off. I can't put my finger on it, because I simply have no idea, haha.

Anyway. /babble. Here's a pic.

Congrats on your first brew! I have had some beers show no airlock activity too but it fermented just fine. Also, welcome to the obsession! LOL

Congrats..
thumbs_up.gif

Looks very nice! You'll find that nearly every mishap or mistake that happens has happened to someone else on HBT. I've had the rubber grommet fall into my fermentation bucket as well but I just said screw it and left it in there. So now you just need to figure out what you are going to brew next...

Well done!
I actually did my first brew few weeks ago and then 2 others followed the first...

Couldn't restrain my pulsions! :D

Latest posts

Back