First Brew - It's alive, after a few lessons...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDom

Reaction score
Just started my first brew last night, after staying up 'till 2AM playing with it! SWMBO deserves kudos for not making me sleep on the couch.

Starting from the beginning:

The Recipe:

Very slight alteration from a Sam Adams Boston Ale clone found on HBT:

3.3lb Muntons light LME
3.3lb Muntons amber LME
1oz Fuggles 4.5% (60min)
0.5oz East Kent Goldings 4.5% (60min)
0.25oz EK Goldings 4.5% (20min)
1.5oz EK Goldings 4.5% (5min)

0.75oz EK Goldings dry hop in secondary

Nottingham Ale dry yeast

(Estimated) OG: 1.052
Calculated IBU: 30.04

Started by printing out the crash course from www.howtobrew.com as a checklist/guide for the night at around 7:00pm. I took a while sanitizing everything, triple-checking procedures, etc.

...and then the trouble started. A few days ago I tried bringing 3gal of water to a boil on the stove.....after 1.5hrs, just a bubble or two. Since I've got me a nice new grill with a 12k BTU side burner on it, I just assumed it'd be able to keep 3gal of water at a respectable rolling boil, and do so in a reasonable amount of time...

1.5hrs later I've got a good rolling boil. I cut the burner, add the LME and stir to fend off any scorched sugar, and re-light the burner maybe 5min later.

Then a horrible wind picks up, and boiling outside on the grill starts working even less well... I jerry-rig up a mess of aluminum foil to sorta-insulate the burner/pot, and end up even turning on the main part of the grill, just to provide some extra heat to the pot to get it back to a boil.

...30mins to 1hr later (a few Sam Octoberfest's deep at this point), a wussy boil resumes, follow-through with my hop schedule. Besides the boil being unimpressive, everything goes off without a hitch, and I bring it in to the sink to cool in the ice-bath.

So after about an hour or two of screwing around with the ice bath, those wort chillers are looking less like a convenience and more like a necessity...

Once I got to this point, it was all good. Yeast rehydrated and proofed just fine, and my fine Son of a Fermentation Chiller (AKA big styrofoam POS according to SWMBO : ) ) works perfectly, keeping everything at a cool 68 degrees.

As of now, it's been sitting in the primary for about 22hrs, bubbling away nicely, with a faint hop aroma filling the Ferm. Chiller when I change the ice.

As of now, I'm planning on racking to my 5gal secondary carboy at roughly the 1wk point, and after 2wks in the secondary, it's bottling time! :ban:

Lessons learned:

1) preparation/planning ahead of time is essential
2) I need a turkey fryer
3) I need a wort chiller
4) HBT Rocks! :rockin: Seriously, without some of the lessons picked up here, I would have been up all night screwing with this one.

Now all I need to learn is a little bit of patience.

Thanks for all the info fellas!

'tis the season..... check Home depot, lowes, target, cosco, wal mart for turkey fryers. find the biggest one you can. Might get a killer deal on one the day after turkey day......

and good job on the brew. overcome, adapt and survive. it gets better

Sounds like a sucess, all in all! A wort chiller is great to have, as is a turkey fryer. It'll make everything go so much smoother next time.

Great job- it sounds like it's going to be a great beer.

Sounds like everything worked out and I'm sure you will have a great beer in the end. I agree that a chiller seems like something that is really needed and is next on my list of things to get.

Let us know how the recipe comes out as I might want to give that a try too.

kitchen stove...around 6,000btus
12,000btus isn't really enough if it gets windy, or for a full 6-7 gallon boil volume.

definitely hit Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards...even Wally world/Sam's club and Costco will have turkey fryers cheap

Thus far everything seems to be going well, and I'm sure I'll let you guys know if I run into any problems. In another three or four weeks I'll probably post the obligatory "I just tasted my first batch a week into bottle conditioning and it tastes funny" thread. Thanks guys! :D

Congratulations on your first session.

You came out pretty well is seems.

Now...the number one rule about your first batch...

Forget about it and get on to your second batch.

:D

BierMuncher said:
Congratulations on your first session.

You came out pretty well is seems.

Now...the number one rule about your first batch...

Forget about it and get on to your second batch.

:D
... and your 3rd... and your 4th... and your 5th.... :D

It's three days in, and I did gravity check, which means I got to finally sample it! The gravity is down to 1.028, not at the 75% mark, but well on its way. Most importantly, it tastes like it'll shape up to be a damned decent beer! It's still yeasty-tasting at this point, and there's a hell of a lot of green-topped (darn pellet hops) krausen. In another 4-7 days, should be sending it to the secondary. :ban:

Back