First Brew - Irish Red Ale; which dry yeast to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
Wanting to do an Irish Red for my first and was looking at midwestsupplies's kit.

6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract, 12 oz. Caramel 40°L, 2 oz. Special B, 2 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 2 oz. of hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Irish Red Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast.

I've read some bad things about Munton's, but I do want to keep my first batch a "dry" yeast (don't won't to worry about starters for my first..just want to pitch, or hydrate and pitch).

Anyways, which dry yeast should i use? I don't see Nottingham on their list to chose from, but would Safale US-05 work? Any other recommendations?

Well, since nobody else has helped out here (nor on my questions...) I will chime in.

I am making a brew tomorrow that calls for Nottingham (which I got...), but the recipe also says that Safale 05 would make a great substitute. The guy at my LHBS said that it makes a lite crisp beer. Im sure it would be fine.

Good luck.

Your best bets will be either nottingham or s-04. S-05 is too clean for an irish red. Go with Nottingham if you prefer for the Red to end up a little drier. Go with the S-04 for a little more maltiness/sweetness. Good luck!

I would go with nottingham dry yeast, but midwestsupplies doesn't offer that apparantly (so I would have to order someplace else).

Your best bets will be either nottingham or s-04. S-05 is too clean for an irish red.

They offer a "Safale Ale S-04 Whitbread Strain (11.5 grams)". Is this what you're referring to with S-04?

Back