First brew in the primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgoblue06

Reaction score
So I just wanted to share my joy of brewing my first batch of extract beer. I received a Northern Brewer brewery in a box with the American wheat kit. After some reading of extreme brews book by Sam C. Of Dog Fish Head and the boards here I modified the recipe right out of the gate.

Don't worry, I have a relative that has a couple years experience of brewing so I knew that helped me the first time so I new what I could change and could not in the recipe.

Decided to add the orange peel of one medium orange (just the outer, not the bitter white part), and .7 ounces of roasted and lightly smashed coriander 50 minutes in of a 60 min boil. Tasted the wort and I think I will love it. Huge fan of Wit's and Hefe's.

It is wonderful to have a kit and know you COULD follow the directions and it will be fine, but whats the fun in that? I almost get in trouble when Im boiling and I let my mind wander.. What if I put in some chocolate right now, or maybe.... cinamon, or a whole orange? I recently purchased Beersmith 2. I love playing with the ingredients and seeing where the IBU ends up or the SRM and and all that.

Back