first brew in the fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Bastard

Reaction score
Whew! took alot longer than I thought it would,almost 4 hours from start to finish.
Everything went fairly smooth,learned a few things along the way...
1-it's extremely hard to control steeping temps with a 100k btu burner :eek:
2-you can have a boil over even with a 33 quart pot(did a full boil,started with 6 gallons)
3-cooling the wort with an ice bath didn't take as long as I thought it would-35 minutes or so to get it 68 degrees.
4-waiting until I can drink it is going to be a *****

I'm not sure about my OG, mine measured 1.058 and the kit said 1.055.I either didn't get an accurate reading or didn't top off enough.The kit wanted it to be 5 1/4 gallons.I'm pretty sure I am right at 5 gallons. is .3 alot?

Whew! took alot longer than I thought it would,almost 4 hours from start to finish.
Everything went fairly smooth,learned a few things along the way...
1-it's extremely hard to control steeping temps with a 100k btu burner :eek:
2-you can have a boil over even with a 33 quart pot(did a full boil,started with 6 gallons)
3-cooling the wort with an ice bath didn't take as long as I thought it would-35 minutes or so to get it 68 degrees.
4-waiting until I can drink it is going to be a *****

I'm not sure about my OG, mine measured 1.058 and the kit said 1.055.I either didn't get an accurate reading or didn't top off enough.The kit wanted it to be 5 1/4 gallons.I'm pretty sure I am right at 5 gallons. is .3 alot?

Let us know how it comes out.

Roger

nice work. the time thing is what got me as well, when i first started brewing. used to start at 7:30ish and was drunk and tired by the end. now i try to start by 4 at the latest. plenty of time to clean and no P1$$ off SWMBO. she actually likes it when i brew, because the kitchen will get extremely clean before and after i am done.

Back