First brew in a while - frozen keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Hi there. Been several years since I’ve done any brewing. We have a party coming up and my wife decided I should brew a beer. Decided on a light ale. Dug out the equipment and brew day went pretty well. Kegged last week and it was tasting pretty good going in. A friend donated an old mini fridge which I had to modify by bending the freezer out of the way. I had to relocate the thermostat probe to do this. Figured good enough and put the keg in the fridge hooked up to co2 to carbonate.
Get home from work yesterday morning to check on it and drop the pressure. Co2 tank was reading low. Ok either a leak or it’s pretty cold. Then I notice the tank and keg frosting up. Ok definitely cold. Too cold. Apparently I didn’t do a proper job of relocating the probe and my keg was now frozen solid. Rats! Ok pull it out to defrost and try to get the fridge to a higher temp. I really should have checked things first but I was rushed with work and all and the party looming.
Oh well. Hopefully I can get it thawed out soon enough for the party on satuday.

Thanks. Got the keg thawed out but I’m still kinda struggling getting the temp in the fridge right. I relocated the probe and the thermostat is way down but water is still freezing. More adjustments. I have to think it has to do with how I have the probe located

Back