First brew in a Fermzilla without spunding valve - PSI too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sounddoc

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm doing my first brew in a Fermzilla and I'm doing it pressurized. Of course to save money, I have yet to get a spunding valve. It's rated up to 35 PSI and the PRV is supposed to relieve pressure above that. My question is should I release pressure from time to time? I just released a little and it seemed quite strong. The beer is a honey wheat (brewer's best kit - starting simple with a new fermenter; 1.048 OG supposed to end up as 1.007 or so) and it's a pretty active fermentation 24 hours in. It's at 72F sitting in my downstairs tub.

After releasing pressure for a few seconds, it foamed up almost to the top so I stopped. Has anyone else paved the way without a spunding valve? Should I be releasing pressure from time to time? I'm assuming that if it's always under pressure, there should be no oxygenation, correct?

Thanks!

OK!!

The more I think about it I really shouldn't just be relying on the PRV to regulate pressure. Although operating on emergency backups only can be exciting :D

For other first time pressure fermenters reading this, the whole room smelled like wort meaning it hit 35PSI, and it's working, but it's not safe.

No, just start storing bags of nails and broken glass on top. That Darwin Award isn’t going to win itself! Come on, put your back into it!

:cask:

Ha! How else am I supposed to repaint the downstairs bathroom in amber?!

All is well. Built a spunding valve with bits and pieces from the sort of local b&m store. All is well sitting at 7psi.. It was much more exciting at ??? PSI!

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_134258.jpg
    IMG_20191008_134258.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 258
Ha! How else am I supposed to repaint the downstairs bathroom in amber?!

All is well. Built a spunding valve with bits and pieces from the sort of local b&m store. All is well sitting at 7psi.. It was much more exciting at ??? PSI!

looks great! One more trip for a hose clamp......

on another subject, how are you liking your fermzilla?

looks great! One more trip for a hose clamp......

on another subject, how are you liking your fermzilla?

I like it so far! There is a little bit of a learning curve with when to collect the trub and how to do it without introducing oxygen. I do have a plan in that I’m going to hook up a ball lock post on the collection chamber and use it to purge CO2 into it before opening the butterfly valve back up. Those parts are on order though so my beer will be sitting on trub For a little while at least. Next time I’m going to let a lot of it settle before pitching yeast, that way I don’t have to worry about introducing oxygen. It might even help with aeration!

As for hose clamps there’s really not a whole lot of pressure coming out of the spunding valve. If I find some loose ones floating around I might attach them. The butterfly clip is just to stop the dangling!

d’oh, yeah hose clamps. I do need them. There could be a whole lot MORE pressure going through there unintended.

Back