First brew in 3 years, no time to make starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
My IPA is arriving from AHS tomorrow and I am gonig to brew the beer tomorrow and I cant wait. I have lots of good equipment and was pretty into brewing a while back. Unfortuanatly, I thought the stuff was going to arrive sooner than 2 weeks and thought i would have time to make a starter! I remember AHS being faster than that!! Anyway, I really like pitching with a really active starter and a lot of yeast. Should I just pitch the tube of yeast directly, or should I bother trying to make a starter 6-7 hours before pitch time? I also have a 3 year old smack pack I made a starter of tonight just for fun, should I consider using this if it is at all bubbling?

If you had 12 hours to make a starter, then I'd do it. Six hours, I'm not sure you'd get much increase in your yeast's health in that time. Pitching the tube directly will certainly work, and that's probably what I would do in this case.

I wouldn't risk my first batch in 3 years on a three-year-old pack of yeast.

And finally - welcome back! I took a four-year hiatus, and started brewing again last autumn. Cheers :mug:

Jim

Back