First brew ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKurtis

Reaction score
I am looking to brew my first batch and was wondering what you think would be the best? what worked well for you guys?

I would go with a simple Ale and something that you enjoy drinking. I went with an Irish Red because it came with my starter kit and it was decent.

I agree...I brewed a simple pale ale for my first. Don't get in over your head for the first batch. Best to start simple and go up from there.

I did an American Wheat with the SAFALE S-05 dry yeast, no specialty grain from Northern Brewer.

It was very basic and easy to keep my arms around.

I did a Pale also. Just moved it to secondary today. It tasted pretty good...better then I thought it would at this point :ban:.

My first was an amber ale extract kit and it is getting better still today. Going on 3 months. I had steeping grains with mine, they are easy to do.

Did the Waldo Lake Amber from NB.com for my first batch...just bottled it today, but the sample I drew off tasted pretty damn good

I brewed my first beer last Sunday, Northern's Nut Brown Ale extract with specialty grains. It was a breeze and is fermenting nicely in the other room.

I use mostly Northern Brewer kits so I would say any of the best seller extract kits would be a starting point. Maybe the American amber ale or the cream ale.

Do a four week beer that only requires a primary fermenter. Northern Brewer Inn Keeper is a great easy beer and has a unique taste. That would make a great first beer and will wow the heck out of tasters because most people have never tasted anything like it. I never have and I have tasted many beers. It is a special recipe that has won many awards and was brewed in Northern England long ago. If you go this route, make sure you use the west yorkshire ale yeast by wyeast. here is the link.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/the-innkeeper-limited-edition-extract-kit-1.html

My first batch was the new castle kit from clone brewers. Of course I fermented it to hot but there were a few bottles that came out good.

You know, it really is nice that NBs website has not only the ingredients, but the instructions for the kit, right there so you can see what you are getting in to. Great for a beginner. If only I hadn't forgot that I only have one primary and ordered 4 kits...two with liquid yeast that will go bad if I don't use them. :eek:

You know, it really is nice that NBs website has not only the ingredients, but the instructions for the kit, right there so you can see what you are getting in to. Great for a beginner. If only I hadn't forgot that I only have one primary and ordered 4 kits...two with liquid yeast that will go bad if I don't use them. :eek:

Just go ahead and get more primaries...why delay the inevitable? I have 4 now. :mug:

just decide whatever style you want and pick out a simple extract beer kit (prehopped) from Munton's, Brewer's Best, Coopers, or whatever is available to you.

I was given a Munton's Bock beer kit and 3lbs dark DME, so I mixed it all together and I now have an 8.7% bock that is finishing up in the primary. tastes amazing so far from the samples I've pulled.

Yeah, do a kit. My suggestion is to make sure you follow the directions EXACTLY. if you're in doubt as to why the directions say to do something, read up and find out. the first kit is a learning experience.

I did an imperial pale kit for my first brew, but added a few more hops & extract for some extra oompf. Turned out very similar to Arrogant Bastard according to others who tasted it...but I entered it in a competition & it didn't do well because they said it was too bitter for their taste & didn't fit within the IIPA style guidelines well enough.

If you've read enough on here to feel comfortable with the process, then I say feel free to experiment. If you're still a little unsure, go with a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back