First Brew - going well; but did I break my Thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lspr_mtu

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm new to the forums but have been lurking a while. I'm in the middle of my first batch (Brewer's Best European Bock), and things are going rather well - pretty uneventful but exciting nonetheless. Anyway, when I began my boil and removed the thermometer with a pair of tongs, the thermometer tipped upside down, and all the red stuff (wax I presume) and metal beeds went all over inside the thermometer! What the heck?

I'm assuming the thermometer is still fine, and maybe I just boil it while keeping it vertical to get everything to "melt" back into place. Has this happened to anybody else?

Also, I've concluded I need a longer spoon and a thermometer clip.

Thanks for listening! :mug:

It sounds broken to me...but I "red stuff" and "metal beads" are a bit vague to me.

If it's a mercury thermometer, throw it (and your beer) away - those "metal beads" might be liquid mercury, and that stuff's poisonous.

If the "red stuff" is the indicator fluid (usually alcohol), and it's no longer "indicating," then your thermometer is hosed.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about, but welcome to the forum!

Sounds like what you are describing is the stuff in the bottom to keep the thermometer weighted down. Yes?

If there is any chance it is mercury, like Yuri said, don't touch and get it out of your house.

The thermometer is mercury-free and the indicator fluid is blue, not red. I think the beads are simply to weight the thermometer on one end, and the red stuff is just there to hold the beads in place. However, I'm no expert and I don't know why they wouldn't choose something with a higher melting point to hold the beads.

Anyway, the thermometer isn't broken, as in the glass didn't crack or break. The only thing possibly "broken" about it is that the insides are no longer exactly where they are supposed to be. I'm pretty sure the batch is still fine, and I'll test the thermometer later to see if it still works. I am just surprised if this is the first time this has happened to anybody besides me. Maybe I bought a cheapo thermometer. It does say it's for brewing though - hmm.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

img1232vp4.jpg

img1233bf2.jpg

HAHA!! Now you know not to put that in hot brew.

Chances are it's only melted wax and steel ball bearings to weight it. As long as the glass is not broken it'll be fine to use again.

Get a new therm...a metal one to use with hot worts.

Ah - it all makes sense now. I think that particular thermometer is intended to float in your fermenting beer, inside a clear carboy. That way you can see the fermentation temperature. Clearly it shouldn't be used in boiling wort...

Where did you buy? Unless it said "Do not boil," I think you should be able to get your money back.

Back