First brew /first boilover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepin

Reaction score
Finished my first brew a couple hours ago. I did the Norther Brewer Dead Ringer IPA (2hearted clone). I did pretty good(I hope!) w/ everything, however I still had my first boilover right at the beginning when I did 60 min hop addition. My spray bottle was on stream not spray and I didn't control it. It sure seems like a lot of hops went over(pellet). Will it turn out ok or am I going to lose a lot of bittering? BTW my OG was 1.060(wort 72F) and it called for 1.064. Now it is time to wait. And time to decide on whats next!

Yeah, boil overs are a B%^&*. If your doing extract on the stove, it's sometimes easier just to move the pot off of the stove before the boil over reaches the top and reduce the heat a little. I doubt you lost too much. No worries!!! Time/excuse to buy a bigger pot!!

I would assume that if you lost hops over the side as soon as they were added, you are going to lose a bit of bitterness, but I am a noob myself, so someone else will have to pitch in with a more definitive answer. Not that less bitterness would turn the beer into something you can’t drink, right?

I did my first brew this weekend, and I am seriously thinking about investing in some anti-foam drops. I didn’t have a boil-over, but boy, as you saw today, you can read and read about boil-over, but until you actually see the wort climbing up the side of the pot, you have no idea just how fast boiling malt extract moves.

Back