First Brew Down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbRew

Reaction score
Well last Friday I boiled my first batch of beer. I bought a kit from the local brew shop and decided to go with a British Pale Ale. I did a 60 min boil and once beer was down to about 72 deg F I checked the IG at 1.04. I pitched the yeast and put on the cap and went to put on the airlock and sure enough the little plastic ring that goes around the base of the airlock fell into the beer. I tried to get it out with a sanitized spoon with no success. I washed up my hands and dipped in sanitizer and reached in and grabbed it. I checked it the next morning and fermentation was in full force. I was just wondering about my time frame on the batch. I know all batches are different but I have read that pale ales tend to go quickly compared to other beers and how many days after the boil should I wait to start checking the gravity?

Wait at least 2 weeks preferably 3 weeks then check the gravity give it 2-3 days and check it again. If the gravity is the same then your good to go to bottle. Congrats on your first batch!

Back