First Brew Done.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmellett

Reaction score
Hi all!

Got my first brew (extract) under way yesterday, and with help from my 8 yr old son, Steven, I think it went well. We both enjoyed it and I hope he will remember his first brew!

I have a question on the "Fermometer" I have on the side of my bucket. It's reading 72 degrees. Is this the outside temp it's reading or the temp of the wort?

Thanks guys!

It will be the temp of the fermentation. Usually the temp of the fermentation is warmer than the air around it because of how hard the Yeast is working.

I tend to think the fermentation temp is a few degrees higher, though I have no empirical data to back it up; it's just a hunch. I know fermentation gives off heat so it makes sense to me that the fermometer will be reading the ambient temp more than the temp in the middle of the fermentation. Maybe someone with more experience than I have will chime in. But I always try to hold the fermometer temp a couple degrees lower than my intended fermentation temp.

Back