Quantcast

First Brew Day

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Logan

Reaction score
Nothing spectacular - but a very fun and so far successful brew day. Took a little longer than expected because we had to boil water 4 times.

1. To clean pot (was kinda grimy)
2. To boil fermenter top off water (but the wort chiller turned it red so we threw it out)
3. Actual Wort Boil
4. Top off water boil round 2.

All in all though we learned a lot so next time we will only have to do one boil. It will have a mystery ABV though because those hydrometers are very slippery when wet....

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/garrettct/Beer

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If your water's good enough to drink...you don't really need to boil and cool your top off water...

And oxyclean is the best thing in the world for cleaning up after a brewing session...Just rinse the bigger chunks out. Fill your brewpot with hot water and several scoops of oxyclean...dump all your tools into it and let it soak for several hours or overnight. Then rinse thoroughly several times. No muss, no fuss..

Do you have a wine theif to draw off your sample? You just put your hydrometer in it, sanitize them, then lower it into the kettle and it fills automatically. Lift it out to take a reading...best 10 dollars outside of an auto siphon you can spend.

Welcome to our obsession.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Revvy said:
If your water's good enough to drink...you don't really need to boil and cool your top off water...
I would disagree. You want to sanitize it as well as drop most of the chlorine out of solution.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
yeah, you don't want to use that well water for top-off.

sounds like a successful brew day! :mug:

was it an extract brew? if so, you can work out your OG (in fact, taking a reading after topping off can be a problem)

OP
Logan

Logan

Reaction score
I just downloaded the wonder that is Beer Smith - so yeah I worked out the OG.

OP
Logan

Logan

Reaction score

A common mistake that happens to the best of us. I shudder to think of the results of the mix up on the other end of that deal...Talk about a yeast cake.

Jekster

Reaction score
Looks great man. Glad to hear that there is another Bloomington Brewer around. Have you been to any of the hopjockey meetings? I don't believe that I've met you before.

Anyway, cheers and enjoy the obsession. ;)