first brew day today :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave6187

Reaction score
All went surprisingly well, just trying to get it cooled down right now (stuck at about 80, trying to get it to at least 75) i have some sanitized ice blocks floating in my fermentor right now, hopefully those'll help. Had a OG of 1.043, which is right in the range I was expecting. I took a whole bunch of pics and should have them up some point today ::ban::rockin:

Careful, those sanitized ice blocks will melt and lower your OG unless they're in a container :) Congrats on first successful Brew. Now the hard part is waiting!

well I had plastic ice packs that are sealed, and I also put some ice in a large ziplock bag. almost at 75 right now. And my yeast starter is all excited and ready to go as well

I don't have to tell you to watch it but be aware that SOMETIMES it can get pretty active and you might need a blow off tube.

Watch the krausen. if it is getting close to the top and still rising you would be safe with a blow off tube. I think this is the one thing new brewers are surprised at.

Not all beer needs a blow off tube but . . . . . . when you are not prepared is when you will need it.

Not all beer needs a blow off tube but . . . . . . when you are not prepared is when you will need it.

Like on your very first batch, a relatively low OG brew that really SHOULDN'T need a blowoff. It's not like it contains wheat or is fermenting too warm. So, there's absolutely NO reason that, come morning, you'll find a tower of brown foam shooting out of the airlock.

Lets just say I start with a blow off on EVERY batch now, whether they "need" it or not! :D

Isn't that the truth? I brewed up a 2.5 gallon IIPA (extract, stove-top batch) and in the morning I had hops and krausen flowing all over my clothes. What a drag. I had to wait until Lowes opened at 7:00 to get a blow-off tube. I lost about 0.5 gallon of beer. Needless to say that this is the most expensive beer thus far so I am waiting to bust this out in a couple of months when it is nice and mellow.

should be able to get the pics posted tonight. A few things i'm a little nervous about with the beer, the main one was that I accidentally transferred over some of the hop sludge from the bottom of my pot, is this gonna create any problems?

DSC00669.JPG

DSC00670.JPG

DSC00671.JPG

DSC00672.JPG

2009-07-08%2009.54.33.jpg

2009-07-08%2009.59.12.jpg

2009-07-08%2010.04.22.jpg

2009-07-08%2010.04.31.jpg

2009-07-08%2010.09.20.jpg

haha thanks guys. But yea, as I asked before, is any of the hop sludge I transferred over by accident gonna create any problems? i know i know, RDWHAHB, but I wont be able to have one of those till it's done :/

Especially when working with the pellets, it is going to be impossible for you to avoid getting any of the hop sludge. I used a hop bag and I still got a bunch in my primary. It'll settle out over time.

Back