First Brew Day - Brewed 2 Beers! (1 Gallon Batches)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manatron

Reaction score
So my fiancé & I have been wanting to try our hand at homebrewing for awhile now and today we took our first plunge!

A few weeks ago we ordered the supplies from a few different online brewshop's and picked up the grain kits from Brooklyn BrewShop for our first attempt.

VTXRp43.jpg

We choose the Smoked Wheat & the Chestnut Brown kits to try first. I cook for a living and wanted to make sure that I had the concept down before working on my own recipes. Next batches will be all grain originals, haha.

Even still, I wasn't entirely happy just with picking & making those two grain kits. We decided to alter them both! First we bought a peach extract "Brewers Best" to add to the Smoked Wheat - and secondly we purchased 1lb of Honey Malt that we milled 1/2lb of to add to both beers. (2/3 into the (now named) Honey Brown Ale (we decided to axe the Chestnuts) and 1/3 into the Smoked Peach Wheat).

efo7Wid.jpg

Got our grains all good to go & our obligatory brews, brewing journal and sanitizing container all ready.

0F47T72.jpg

Everything went pretty smoothly & we mashed in at 170 - dropped to 150 and held for 60mins.

Sparged with 4q at 170, 3 times each.

Here's them filled with wort getting ready for hot break... not the most action shot, I know.

7uUEWNH.jpg

After it was all said & done (another 60min of hopping & then their ice water baths to drop 'em down to 70)... we syphoned into our 1G carboys, pitched our yeast (& shook 'em up) and here they'll stay for the next few days till we can pop in the airlocks.

8XjMd5H.jpg

All in all we're really happy with how everything went down! Made sure to have lots of StarSan on hand and kept everything super sterile. I can definitely see the allure of doing in this in larger batches but for now as we figure things out it's fun to cycle through 2 brews at a time to keep it fresh.

Really stoked to see how it works during fermenting & then when we bottle! The peach extract I mentioned earlier we plan on administering before we bottle as I had read that introducing it earlier could drastically reduce it's potency in flavour. (Yeast would wanna eat it all up!)

My main question is this: Introducing the Peach Extract - should I still prime the bottles with a honey/water mix? Or do you think adding that extra sugar then will give me all the carbonation I need? We only plan on adding the Peach Extract to the Smoked Wheat... so the Honey Brown would still get primed.

Thoughts?

Here's the bottles we purchased - got them over at Beergrains.com they're a swing top 500ml bottle. We figured we could invest in some that we'd be reusing quite a bit.

kjnBnjW.jpg

Anyway - as you can see - we're pretty excited about this new journey! Thanks for making it to the end of this.

Happy Brewing!

Congrats on the first brew(s)!

Regarding the peach extract, is there any way to determine how much sugar is in it? I had the idea that it was flavoring, but did not necessarily contain sugar. But admittedly I do not know. My guess would be that you need to add sugar to prime, but maybe you can use slightly less sugar if there is sugar in the flavoring. My guess, however, is that the sugar in the flavoring is negligible and you should ignore its contribution.

How are you determining how much flavoring to add? I've never used it, but I understand it is easy to overdo it. Good luck. It sounds like you've done your research! Congrats again!

I did a peach hefe this summer and added priming sugar and the extract. My wife and I started with an eye dropper and added two drops in the first and increased by 2 every other bottle. It's pretty potent stuff so I wanted to gradually build it up. We settled on 8 drops being perfect for us.

Thanks guys! I had read up on recipes that state adding 4oz extract to a 5 gallon batch was very powerful - since we're doing a 1 gallon batch I figured I would just do a 1/2oz addition.

The smokiness from the smoked beachwood malt came through quite a bit while we were brewing - I'm hoping to marry it with the peach and not overpower it!

That's a great idea of dropping into bottles individually - that way we could have a couple bottles without the peach to try! How pungent was 8 drops on the tongue?

On a scale of 1-10. 1 being non existent and 10 being so overpowering that you can't stomach it. I would say it was about a 4-5. It had the peach flavor but it didn't overpower the beer.

Niiiice. Thanks for the heads up pgordon80! I'll update the thread after we're all said & done and let you know how it turned out!

manatron said:
Niiiice. Thanks for the heads up pgordon80! I'll update the thread after we're all said & done and let you know how it turned out!

Did you give it a go yet?

BBS kits bring back memories. Enjoy it, the first beer is always the best...unless its the worst :drunk:

Back