First Brew Complete! Now we wait.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad87us

Reaction score
So yesterday was first ever brew day. Overall it went really well and I was very happy with the overall results. I ended up making my own recipe based off a Sweetwater 420 clone extract kit I got from my LHBS. I had some fresh basil I got from a friend of mine and I wanted to go for something like Bison's Honey Basil Ale, so here is what I came up with:

1 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (Briess) (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz DME Pilsen Light (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs 4.8 oz LME Pilsen Light (Briess) (2.3 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.60 oz Basil (Boil 10.0 mins)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Honey [Boil for 5 min](1.0 SRM)
0.60 oz Basil (Boil 0.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 %
Bitterness: 18.7 IBUs
Est Color: 4.5 SRM

tLGWZB-Ok5jfjCRZvt0MsMtrh5iiUah0CAUbCnK_qPc=w369-h208-p-no

Here is my setup all ready to go.

iu6so6OwHRRSLWo5f5mMP_Vq7BGEydcSsD-OoAfG0PM=w366-h207-p-no

This was a normal extract brew with a 30 minute steep of the grains.

2014-08-09%2B14.51.50.jpg

Had everything printed and notated on BeerSmith.

wdaR8U0vmua2rs9ZT8X24sltF9t6Y9RzeE2KtZwyyF0=w117-h207-p-no

Steeping done, all extract added and stirred, water added, time to boil. I decided to go with a full boil on this one since I had the equipment and I wanted practice for moving to AG. I only had a couple small boil overs, good thing I decided to use the garage. I think next time I will lower the pre-boil to 6 gal instead of 6.5. I over estimated my trub loss when racking into fermentation and ended up with 5.75 gallons instead of 5.

k1mVOon9qj-f20s_tz1kbJBhQDrZrruWPeoVgU9gy4s=w120-h211-p-no

Boil is going, hops added, time for a beer!

W3h8RClHO1X_drPXHi8MMW6MfOWysfP-xZK1S0OUR7s=w117-h207-p-no

Got everything done, cleaned, and fermenting.

Overall it was a great experience. Nothing really too unexpected except for the boil overs. I was really happy that I hit my OG within a few points (1.052), my boil off estimate was dead on, just ended up not losing as much from BK to carboy. Next time I won't need as much in the kettle to hit a 5 gallon batch, which should help with the boil over issue.

Checked progress today and have a nice layer of krausen forming, no real bubbling yet, but I'm sure it'll come. This being my first batch I am of course freaked out about infection but I am trying very hard to relax and think positive.

Can't wait to try it out!

On a side note I tried a recipe for spent grain dog treats that turned out really well and my dogs love!
iXq7psF8XrasHuqjLeWHnMUuUnPrcU-ylVhBTWhCjGI=w342-h193-p-no

Congrats on the first brew! Looks like an interesting recipe too let me know how it turns out!
:cheers:

UPDATE:

Checked today, and a little less than 24 hours in I have a nice thick krausen and the airlock is bubbling away!

eY8yhx1K2t3niHptepACPQoR-TBOnOAtyN4LnFgcl4o=w117-h207-p-no

Don't rush it. Let it ferment 3 weeks and then check to see if done. If you bottle another 3 weeks. Cold crash a few days after ferment if you can.

Back