First brew bubbles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slider46

Reaction score
I have bubbles! :ban:

Not a ton but its only been about 20 hours since I pitched the yeast. Is it normal to have a "funky yet beer-like" smell?

You're asking if it's normal for a container of wort to give off a beer-like smell? Heh... What do you mean by "funky" though? Mine always have a nice tart hoppy smell that hopefully stinks up the whole dining room :D

You're asking if it's normal for a container of wort to give off a beer-like smell? Heh... What do you mean by "funky" though? Mine always have a nice tart hoppy smell that hopefully stinks up the whole dining room :D

Hmm maybe tart is a better word lol. Not sure. It smells similar to the wort before I put it in the container so I guess it's normal :confused:

It's a Mr. Beer Oktoberfest so maybe i'm smelling more tangy malt than hopps?

Congratulations!!!

I remember the excitement of my first batch. The anticipation was unbearable.

As long as your cleanliness and sanitation practices were good, you have nothing to worry about. Remember, cleanliness/sanitation is the single most important step in making beer. Everything else comes with education, experience and experimentation.

Congratulations!!!

I remember the excitement of my first batch. The anticipation was unbearable.

As long as your cleanliness and sanitation practices were good, you have nothing to worry about. Remember, cleanliness/sanitation is the single most important step in making beer. Everything else comes with education, experience and experimentation.

Here's hoping I did everything right!

Well, good news. I poured a small sample from the tap to give it a smell/taste and....

It smells like beer! :ban: Tastes like warm flat "green" beer (I guess?). I'm assuming the flavors will 'meld' a little more after carbing and conditioning for another 3 weeks or so..

Bad news - I ordered 3 packs of Nottingham Brewers Yeast only to find out about all the "problems" (from this thread) with that particular yeast after receiving it.

Just ordered 2 packs of US-05 which I will be using in my next two Mr. Beer recipes. (Some sort of Chocolate/Cherry Brown Ale and a Dark English Ale)

Good to hear. Keep us posted on how it turns out. Like I said, as long as your sanitation is good, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

US-05 is good yeast. I use it in my sessions.

It sounds like you are on your way to becoming obsessed with homebrewing! Keep on, keepin' on.

One of the biggest lessons you can learn from this is from Charlie....RDWHAHB.

Bad news - I ordered 3 packs of Nottingham Brewers Yeast only to find out about all the "problems" (from this thread) with that particular yeast after receiving it.

There have been issues with Notty, true -- but if you keep your temps low it should be fine. I used Notty for my BM Centennial Blonde, and since I kept the fermenter in water with ice bottles floating for the first week I expect no issues.

True, I haven't tasted it yet, but still... ;)

Back