First Brew Batch - Continental Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

axr

Reaction score
Hey home brew homies - Just completed my first batch of brew. I brewed an extract kit of Continental Pilsner. The OG was supposed to be 1.042 - 1.044. My came out at 1.040. Kit instructions were a little confusing and I think I was supposed to boil bittering hops for 45 mins and finishing hops for 1 min. I ended boiling the bittering hops for 59 mins and finishing hops for 1 min. I'm assuming this affected the OG but will it affect the fermentation and beer overall? Will over boiling affect the brew?

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Welcome to the hobby.

I recommend you read John Palmer's book How To Brew - this will help you brew great beers almost immediately.

In response to your specific questions, your OG is just fine - being off by a couple of points is not usually a big deal, and may just have been a result of imperfect mixing.

The longer boil will result in a somewhat darker, possibly "maltier-tasting" beer. It'll also be a little more bitter since you boiled the hops longer, but it's unlikely to be out of balance - most hop utilization occurs fairly quickly. If it turns out a bit bitter, some aging will improve it and bring it back into balance.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The hops have no impact on the gravity. Your different hop schedule will change the beer a little bit, but not so much that it will even be out of style. Continental pilsner is a very challenging style for anyone, let alone your first batch. Just in case it doesn't come out the way you're expecting, don't be discouraged, try something more forgiving like a porter, hefe, APA, or Irish Red.

OP
axr

axr

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I've actually been reading Palmer's book online quite a bit and has been very helpful. Your response also addressed another concern I ahd which was the color of the wort. I guess I boiled it a bit long, but all part of the learning process.