First brew and need some kettle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkane101

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm all set to do my very first brew this weekend...an IPA extract kit with some steeped grains. I have a huge 60qt aluminum stockpot so I'm totally stoked about doing full boils. So of course the first thing i do is clean the pot and do a test run...first to get that nice coating on the aluminum that I've read so much about...and secondly to see if my kitchen stove can actually get it to a full boil. Starting water amount is 6.5 gallons, after an hour uncovered I get the water temp to just over 200. I thow the cover on and in a few minutes I have a rolling boil.

Here's the rub, i know i have to do my 60 minute boil uncovered..but when i remove the cover the water temp drops to about 208ish...enough for a simmer but not a rolling boil.

I'm guessing thats not going to be good enough. So should i run out and get a bayou turkey fryer stand and a propane tank? I'd rather not add the additional cost if possible. Or ...should i reduce the volume of water and top it off after the boil which may caus some of that tangy taste thats so often talked about with partial boils.

I know the choice is mine...but what would you do? And why?

I'm guessing thats not going to be good enough. So should i run out and get a bayou turkey fryer stand and a propane tank? I'd rather not add the additional cost if possible. Or ...should i reduce the volume of water and top it off after the boil which may caus some of that tangy taste thats so often talked about with partial boils.

I know the choice is mine...but what would you do? And why?

I'd get the biggest boil I could but still a rolling boil, and get the turkey fryer later on. See if you can get 5 gallons to a rolling boil, and then just top if off when you're finished.

Stove top (Gas) the max I could ever get to roll was about 3 gallons. Then I would add three more gallons of chilled when I put it primary. After a couple of boil overs in the kitchen I quickly purchased a turkey fryer for about $30 at home depot and started brewing in my garage. Much faster to get a boil with the fryer. You get a bonus brew pot with the fryer also.

I would get the propane burner and tank, but only because it would bother me to not have it. I really wanted to do full boils from the start even when I was doing extract. Although I brew outside, so I really had no choice. :)

You might be able to get away boiling covered after 30 mins if you car barely manage a boil of the wort. I don't think I would risk it inside though, it doesn't take much for a boil over.

Divide by 2. Get two pots boiling, splitting the ingredients if you want to do a "full boil" and maybe your stove will handle that better.

Partial boils work fine for me inside on my ceramic stove. It has a hard time with anything above 3 gallons. I use chilled water to top it off and cool it down in like 5 minutes once I'm through.

I'll move on to more elaborate equipment at some point but right now, it's working for me and that's my only goal.

Back