First brew and first all grain attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
Howdy gang. This is my first brew and obviously first attempt at all grain. Had a quick question.

Straight out of the mash tun i'm getting 1.050 at 120 degrees. My hydrometer is set for 60 degrees so using the link below i'm gathering an actual gravity 1.060. Grain bill is 10lbs 2 row and 4lbs maris otter. I'm hoping to get around 70% efficiency and land around 1.070.

Question is: Where should I be after I boil for 60mins?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

How many gallons and how long a boil? When I made 5 gal brews, I would gain a full point after close to an hour. So a 1.060 would be 1.070 after close to an hour. Easy to just boil till you hit your gravity... until you learn your system and can accurately predict your results. For rapid cooling of hot wort I put a cup of wort in a small stainless steel bowl and set that bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Only takes a minute or two to reach 60 degrees and get an accurate hydrometer reading

How many gallons and how long a boil? When I made 5 gal brews, I would gain a full point after close to an hour. So a 1.060 would be 1.070 after close to an hour. Easy to just boil till you hit your gravity... until you learn your system and can accurately predict your results. For rapid cooling of hot wort I put a cup of wort in a small stainless steel bowl and set that bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Only takes a minute or two to reach 60 degrees and get an accurate hydrometer reading
That's a pretty good idea! i collected about 5 gallons for boiling, ended up with 4.5 gallons of aerated wort. slight boil over learning the burner. had the lid on as well :confused: lesson learned.

when i pitched the yeast i had 1.070 @ 70F. looks like i slightly overshot.

i also noticed that i picked up a lot of color. i was expecting a very light colored wort but i have something resembling blue moon with a bit more brown. i suspect my boil time was longer than expected. it was very hard to see the pot with all the steam coming off (it's about 34F outside). i hope my boil was enough to sanitize the thing.

so many anxieties right now about my batch :eek:

That's a pretty good idea! i collected about 5 gallons for boiling, ended up with 4.5 gallons of aerated wort. slight boil over learning the burner. had the lid on as well :confused: lesson learned.

when i pitched the yeast i had 1.070 @ 70F. looks like i slightly overshot.

i also noticed that i picked up a lot of color. i was expecting a very light colored wort but i have something resembling blue moon with a bit more brown. i suspect my boil time was longer than expected. it was very hard to see the pot with all the steam coming off (it's about 34F outside). i hope my boil was enough to sanitize the thing.

so many anxieties right now about my batch :eek:

What's great about it all man is that its something to call your own. Do not be discouraged if you dont get the right results. My first all grain was terrible! After two more attempts after that I got the hang of it. Now Ive brewed probably 5 or so all grain that are excellent. Record results, analysis, get feedback, make corrects, brew!

Here you got dude. If your stressed, have a beer!

ForumRunner_20130207_100048.jpg

Back