First brew American Brown Ale - Ferm ??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I have been fermenting for one week today at 64 degrees. The first three-four days was very active bubbling. It seems now the bubbling is just about done.

I just did a Fg test and it read 1.018. The directions said fermentation is complete at 1.012.

It seems it is not their yet but the bubbling seems to have stopped. Will more time bring the FG down ?

Should I raise temp to 68 degrees or so to maybe get bubbling again?

Thanks for all the help.

I have been fermenting for one week today at 64 degrees. The first three-four days was very active bubbling. It seems now the bubbling is just about done.

I just did a Fg test and it read 1.018. The directions said fermentation is complete at 1.012.

It seems it is not their yet but the bubbling seems to have stopped. Will more time bring the FG down ?

Should I raise temp to 68 degrees or so to maybe get bubbling again?

Thanks for all the help.

It's not uncommon for extract batches, especially dark beers with dark extract, to finish higher than the instructions say. 1.018 isn't bad at all for that beer. I'd wait another week and check it again. If it's still at 1.018, it'd be ok to bottle. If it is a bit lower, wait until you have a reading that is the same over the course of three days before bottling.

Thanks. I figure I will retest in few days. I actually tasted the beer and it was pretty good. Smells like beer and tastes like beer, so I guess this is a good sgn.

Will raising temp do anything or should I maintain my original 64 degrees?

Thanks. I figure I will retest in few days. I actually tasted the beer and it was pretty good. Smells like beer and tastes like beer, so I guess this is a good sgn.

Will raising temp do anything or should I maintain my original 64 degrees?

I'm a fan of temperature control, but as long as you stay within the yeast strain's optimum temperature range, you can raise the temperature if you want. It may encourage the yeast to "clean up" faster.

I wouldn't retest in a few days- I'd wait at least another week or two. My philosophy is not to mess with the beer until I'm about to do something to it, like bottling it. If you check the SG in a few days, and it's 1.017, that doesn't really mean anything except that it's not 1.018. I'd wait until about three days before bottling and check the SG. Then, on bottling day, check the SG. If they're the same, bottle it.

I will wait a week. I plan on bottling about two gallons and kegging the rest. I am new to all this, so I will have to read up on that portion next.

I appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back