First brew after an infection.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
I'm not certain what step infected my brew last time. I simply don't want to reenact the whole thing. So.... I have a few questions.

1 should I throw out the bottles?
2 can I use the auto siphon (at the point of bottling) or get a new one?
3 should I re-use the fermenter? or use a different one?

I'm going to use starsan (I always do) and sanitize the hell out of everything...
I wonder if my bottle filler is to blame?

geesh this sucks.
timg

sorry to be so negative but I have 2 kids and a wife that keep me busy.. and a job from hell.
I don't have the option to brew every weekend like others....

tag

I wouldn't just arbitrarily throw anything out, but would go a few extra lengths to ensure proper sanitization. I would soak and scrub everything in PBW very well, then soak overnight in StarSan. Make sure you are properly measuring the StarSan and not just dumping a bunch of concentrate in water. No sense in wasting it, but you have to make sure the concentration is correct so the PH is low enough to kill the nasties.

If you had an infection last time around, sanitized the equipment in question with a 1:10 solution of unscented bleach and water (unscented bleach can be found in any grocery store; it's the absolute cheapest of the cheap bargain brand). Star San is generally effective, and I use it all the time, but if I ever did run into an infection I'd be cleaning everything with a bleach solution to be sure.

As the other gentleman said, no need to thrown anything away. Just make double and triple sure you've got it well-cleaned. Next time around, be very mindful of sanitation techniques. The nasties are everywhere.

Latest posts

Back