First Brew A Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonFlyer

Reaction score
MY FIRST BREW WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS :mug: . i just have a few questions, the beer tastes absolutly amazing as it is right now, and i have a great taste in beer as do my roommates who all liked to as well. Its a hefeweizen and i was slightly impatient and opened the first bottle after just 2 weeks of being in the bottles. My question is even though the beer was amazing it did have a very slight sweet flavor. Will this go away if i leave it for the optimal 1 month? Also will the flavor improve anymore than it already has (not that i care its amazing as it is)?

DaytonFlyer said:
MY FIRST BREW WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS :mug: . i just have a few questions, the beer tastes absolutly amazing as it is right now, and i have a great taste in beer as do my roommates who all liked to as well. Its a hefeweizen and i was slightly impatient and opened the first bottle after just 2 weeks of being in the bottles. My question is even though the beer was amazing it did have a very slight sweet flavor. Will this go away if i leave it for the optimal 1 month? Also will the flavor improve anymore than it already has (not that i care its amazing as it is)?

Congrats on your first brew, Generally Hefe's Are good at an early age, But if you dont like the sweetness it will improve with a little more age, However Hefe's dont have a whole lot of Hop's in them so letting them sit too long will Kill some of the hop flavor, But that wont happen for quite a while. Im sure your brew will turn out great.:mug: Also....In the future when you are asking a question about your beer, Try to post the Recipe you used so that its easier for everyone to answer your question.

:mug: Rich

Was it nice and fizzy, or a little flat? If it was the latter, the slightly sweet tinge you're tasting is the priming sugar that hasn't fermented yet and it'll be much better in another week. Provided the rest of the bottles are still at room temp.

i was slightly impatient and opened the first bottle after just 2 weeks
People keep posting they were impatient and opened their first (or second or third) bottle "early." No, no, no, you didn't open it early, you weren't impatient -- in the true spirit of scientific discovery you tested the bottle conditioning of the beer in its early stages to confirm your calculated data as to current carbonation.

Now, doesn't that sound much better?

Congrats on your first beer, and while I've not made a Hefe I suspect it'll get better -- something you should confirm on a regular basis, again in the true spirit of scientific discovery.

Rick

I suspect your beer will be gone before it ages. :mug: Congrats on your first beer.

shafferpilot said:
Was it nice and fizzy, or a little flat? If it was the latter, the slightly sweet tinge you're tasting is the priming sugar that hasn't fermented yet and it'll be much better in another week. Provided the rest of the bottles are still at room temp.

Yup, when i opened the bottle it made the nice fhsss <--- (sound of opening bottle) and it was carbonated. Also, yes all the bottles we're left in the closet, so they been sitting for another week, so i just put another 6 pack in the fridge so we'll see if the slight sweetness went away. I did get a good comment out of one of my friends, actually he was the first one to try my very first bottle. He took a sip . . . looked at the bottle . . . looked at me . . . and said "hell if you sold this i'd buy it". :ban: so i guess my very first brew was a success

Back